starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct Program for Sufferer of Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Default Correct Program for Sufferer of Inflammatory Bowel Disease

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and colitis, two types of inflammatory bowel disease. It is very hard for me to consume more than 2000 calories per day, and I also have trouble digesting large amounts of protein. To put it simply, I can't stick to the type of diet your recommend. I feel that pushing myself on the program without the correct diet would burn me out and be counter-productive.

I know your program is called Starting Strength, but do you think I could just complete the exercises using lighter weights and/or different reps? Simply doing the exercises to keep myself in shape? Or, if I can't stick to your diet and program should I look to another workout? I realise that in that instance 'I wouldn't be doing the program' but I'm just desperate to take part whatever way my body is able for.

I feel very frustrated because I really want to do SS. I've bought your book and watched your videos and your whole approach to exercise and lifestyle really appeals to me and how I carry myself in other parts of my life. Unfortunately my body is letting me down!

Thank you.

Anyone can do the exercises. Good luck.

Newb Intro

Dude, just do the exercises with the bar and progress from there and see what happens. The results may surprise you.

I recently coached someone with IBD who has similar issues and has managed to do fairly well. I'll see if I can get him to comment here.

Monoke; If you read through the history of this forum, you will discover that there are many people who have recovered from serious medical conditions, including various diseases and traumatic injuries, by doing strength training. Heavy training seems to have some beneficial effect beyond increasing strength. Who knows, if you give your body a reason to need more calories perhaps it will adapt to that need.

You might as well be as strong as you can be. See if Jordon will chime in on dietary recommendations down in the nutrition forum. Maybe there are ways you can get more calories in, and get more out of what you do eat.

I have had Colitis for 13 years. Been hospitalised several times in the mid 2000's. Taken every pill. At one point I weighed about 135lbs at 5'10". I was around 140lbs when I started the program. Yes, it is very difficult at first, but as my squat increased, guess what, the symptoms started to reduce. As broscience as this may sound, squatting will shock your body into total repair mode. Training turned my life around. Before and after pics would amaze you.

You just have to experiment with food until you find things you can tolerate to get your macros up. Eg I use a lot of peanut butter, which is very easy to digest and doesn't irritate me. I spread it on apples bananas etc. Papaya fruit are excellent for colitis. ON Whey is very agreeable, and of course lactose free whole milk; TITRATE UP, bit by bit.

Most important is getting out of the victim mindset. Trust me this will hold you back more than anything. There is a VERY important mental element to Colitis. Fight like hell, take control of whatever you can in your life and work towards goals. I would rather die trying than be cooped up indoors feeling sorry for myself. If you accept you are ill, you will be forever. This your chance to build immense character or stay down.

Today I'm around 170lbs and am going to hit 181lbs with decent body comp within 10 months, then compete. I pull 400lbs+, squat 300lbs+ and bench 200lbs+, anytime. I do not look ill or even feel unwell in the slightest, even though there is always some inflammation, I feel great. Before the program, I was an unemployed weakling who couldn't get work or a girlfriend etc. After, I was able to return to college, get a 1st class Econ degree, and now have to turn down jobs.

Always think strength. Steve Redgrave won a bunch of Olympic medals with Colitis and diabetes. Read Brian Jones's story on this website. Start small, be an unrelenting bastard.

As someone who has wrestled with often quite painful and ass-exploding IBS, I sympathize.
    Too frequent use of BCAAs makes my ass explode. Too much whey protein in one shot can make my ass explode. With associated cramping and bloating and so on.

I'm going to assume you've taken the time and effort to figure out how to manage your everyday diet to minimize your symptoms.
    If you get around 2K calories a day, you can still train. Just not crazy hard. So do that. Keep your jumps in weight small.

While you're doing that, add in a small amount of additional protein, and see what happens.
    If nothing bad happens, the next week add a little more.
    If nothing bad happens, the next week add a little more.
    If something bad happens, cut back, and make sure that your training volume reflects your diet.

Experiment with kefir or yoghurt instead of drinking milk. And so on.

Crohn's here, diagnosed 1989. Take a look at Eating Right for a Bad Gut - it's surprisingly helpful.

I've found eating four or five times a day really helped me on the gut front, as did getting on a Remicade cycle. I haven't had a flare since I started on it, but damn is it expensive (USD 8000 a dose, every eight weeks).

starting strength coach development program
    I found Sully's review of the literature as it concerns myokines very interesting and exciting. Squats may be the treatment for your "disease".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast