starting strength gym

Thread: nervous after ankle injury

Default nervous after ankle injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i damaged the ligaments in my ankle skateboarding (internal sprain). this is an old injury and the window for an immediate intervention (e.g. starr protocol for muscle belly tears) has elapsed by several years.

what is the prognosis? will I always have imbalances squatting and walking?

I don't know. Hard to tell from two badly-written sentences on the internet.

i damaged the ligaments in my ankle skateboarding (internal sprain). this is an old injury and the window for an immediate intervention (e.g. starr protocol for muscle belly tears) has elapsed by several years.
    Looks like another reminder is in order that the MUSCLE BELLY TEAR protocol is not a protocol for tendons or ligament injuries. It's for MUSCLE BELLY TEARS (you'd think the name would give it away).

This is because tendons and ligaments cannot, and will not, rebuild and remodel as fast as the metabolically very active muscle tissue.

Mark: That gives me a thought. Would it be possible to have a generic tendon or ligament tear protocol (for partial tears, or post surgery) similar to the starr, but drawn out much longer to match the slower healing speed? Or will connective tissue tears vary so much that this would be impossible?

OP: Mark needs to know what "imbalances" means. A video of your squatting would probably be illuminating as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Would it be possible to have a generic tendon or ligament tear protocol (for partial tears, or post surgery) similar to the starr, but drawn out much longer to match the slower healing speed? Or will connective tissue tears vary so much that this would be impossible?
    I've thought about that, but joint/connective tissue injuries are such highly individualized events that it's probably not possible to make more than a couple of generalized observations. Like, load it as soon as possible, with as much weight as pain permits, keeping the reps low.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I've thought about that, but joint/connective tissue injuries are such highly individualized events that it's probably not possible to make more than a couple of generalized observations. Like, load it as soon as possible, with as much weight as pain permits, keeping the reps low.
    This is the kind of plodding I'm doing with a rotator cuff problem (I think it's just irritated). Very frustrating process, but good to know I'm on the right track. Some times you just have to say screw what I planned for this year, I'm going to heal. And you almost certainly will.

Dave M asked the question that was on my mind.

Are tendon/ ligament injuries typically diagnosed late? In fact, isn't the lingering nature part of the diagnosis?

If that is so, how does this effect the timing of High Dose Ibuprofen x 5 days (HDI5) and Active Release Technique (ART), which you also sometimes recommend? That is, should all be done simultaneously and As Soon As Diagnosed, or is there some sequence?

By the way, the orthopod acquaintance you told me to ask said:

1) sometimes what seems to be deltoid insertion pain can be RC pain referred (flash of concerned look across orthopod face)
    2) take NSAIDs for several days regularly
    3) Press is the worst thing for the shoulder, don't do it (as predicted. I am going to try to get him to read the book)
    4) I have a slot in my afternoon schedule to scope you today (joke)

Inflammatory connective tissue stuff becomes perceived when it shifts from sub-acute to acute. The problem is usually present before it is perceived, and is usually the fault of incorrect mechanics. People vary in the amount of incorrectness they can tolerate It should be treated early, with NSAIDs and corrective coaching.

starting strength coach development program
    Inflammatory connective tissue stuff becomes perceived when it shifts from sub-acute to acute. The problem is usually present before it is perceived, and is usually the fault of incorrect mechanics. People vary in the amount of incorrectness they can tolerate It should be treated early, with NSAIDs and corrective coaching.
    I can't reiterate this enough. Overuse / chronic inflammation of tendons tend to become lifelong conditions simply because people don't stop doing the things that create the problem in the first place. Once tendinitis becomes chronic (tendinopathy / tendinosis: longer than 3 months duration), the only viable treatment tends to be heavy, progressive loading of the tendon in a graduated manner. The literature emphasizes eccentric training, however, I have found equal, if not better results, with linear progression on the most applicable barbell movement.