starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Academic Preparation for the Strength Coach

Default Academic Preparation for the Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Very important article Rip. Thanks for writing it. As someone who is interested in potentially hiring coaches and has been spending a lot of time dealing with interns, this is a valuable piece. Everyone wants to have the full client load and be the top coach in their area, but no one really wants to put in the work. This will help those who are willing to work for it.

Rip. Thanks for this. I recently attended the SS Seminar in Brooklyn, and my question to you during the Q and A was related to my difficulty comprehending the anatomy and mechanical aspects of the lectures. You told me you were working on an article about self educating one self. I also was embarrassed to mention this during the Q and A, but the reason for my interest was to eventually become a Starting Strength coach as a career change. Thanks again for all the resources this forum provides.

Nothing helped me more than understanding moment arms and center of mass at each point in the squat and DL As a second rate engineer, intuitively getting the moment diagrams in SS 3rd Ed made all the difference in understanding these in relation to bar path. Hiow the forces act upon a static and dynamic body are crucial to understanding the lifts. And I am just a guy training...not a SSC.

Having said that, damn I want the challenge of obtaining the SSC cert. Great article about applying academic rigor to the profession.

Great article! really encouraging to have you write up something that can further guide people in educating themselves!

This is great. I have a few books to order. Also I found the Marieb book cheaper (to buy, not rent) from Barnes and Noble:

B&N | Shopping Bag

Thank you for this article. Your preternatural sense of timing perfectly coordinated this posting with a conversation I had just this afternoon with our two interns on what they should be reading. Thank you!

Squid and Snowflake, get to work.

Thanks. I'll read the books this weekend.

Great article. For anyone who will be reading research studies and consuming the literature, you might also recommend a book on Epidemiology. Ken Rothman has two good ones. The basic is "Epidemiology: An Introduction." The bible is "Modern Epidemiology." You'll learn about study design, causality, research methods, bias, etc.

starting strength coach development program
    I fall in the "I'd like to be a coach but I have no idea where to start" camp, and had to turn down the opportunity to coach a co-worker as a result of my lack of knowledge. Thanks for the article and book recommendations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast