starting strength gym

Thread: LP 5 months after appendix removal

Default LP 5 months after appendix removal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anna: 16 y.o. female, training for 2 weeks.

Body weight: 110 lbs -> 113 lbs
    SQ: 11 lbs -> 44 lbs
    PR: 11 lbs -> 25 lbs
    DL: 44 lbs -> 66 lbs
    BP: not doing yet due to pain after an old shoulder injury (plan to introduce later).

Anna works as a waitress, 3 days on then 3 days off, from 7 a.m. till 9 p.m. (plus about an hour to get to work and back home), she barely has time to eat at work (e.g., didn't eat yesterday and ate once a day before). So after a few sessions we decided to work out on every 3rd day to give her a bit more time for recovery. He form on SQ is very good, not so much on PR and DL yet (she has trouble getting her back into extension while deadlifting, but no problem while squatting).

She had her appendix removed about 5 months ago. Yesterday she said she felt sharp 'needles' in the lower right part of abdomen, about an hour after training, and she thinks it might have been caused by DL. Pain is gone as of now. I'm not sure how to continue the progression. Should she work with lighter weights and higher DL volume for some time? Maybe also perform DL daily? Or just follow LP, but with 1-2 lbs increments? Should she use a belt? (We have a 2.5" from Best Belts.) How much and what kind of pain to tolerate?

Any suggestions and comments would be highly appreciated.

How was her appendix removed? Russian way, with spoon? American way, with surgeon, sharp knife, suture? I squatted 5 days after mine was removed. It hurt, but so did the appendicitis.

We have pretty good medicine in Ukraine.

Thanks, this gives me confidence to continue the standard LP. If pain gets worse, I'll report here.

In soviet Russia, appendix removes you

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    In soviet Russia, appendix removes you
    In Soviet Russia, appendix wins the historical class struggle over the reactionary forces

I would rule out incisional hernia, which can be done by a visit to the surgeon who removed the worm.

No hernia, no problem.

"Sharp needles" usually indicates neurogenic pain, often related to scarring in one of the abdominal wall layers. Alarming and uncomfortable but not dangerous, and usually self-correcting with time.

Actually, in Soviet Russia you remove own appendix. Antarctica, 1961: A Soviet Surgeon Has to Remove His Own Appendix - The Atlantic

starting strength coach development program
    Was it a laparoscopic appendectomy or an open one? Nevertheless, doesn't matter. A correclty performed conventional appendectomy doesn't cut any muscle.