Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyper-extended Partial Press?

Default Hyper-extended Partial Press?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

Any advice on improving my technique?
    Unfortunately my adductors haven't recovered yet from the 180 kg squats I did ten days ago. So I decided to utilize the time on my partial presses and push press. I will post a video of my squats as soon as my legs have recovered, but in the mean time I'd appreciate any advice you can give me on my standing press.

Rabbi Herschlag, it is very difficult to take you seriously. I'm sure you're a very nice man, but posting shit like this calls both your intelligence and your reading ability into question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Rabbi Herschlag, it is very difficult to take you seriously. I'm sure you're a very nice man, but posting shit like this calls both your intelligence and your reading ability into question.
    Admittedly, part of the reason of posting this is for entertainment. I could have just as easily cut the beginning where I failed to lift the bar, but I got such a laugh out of that, that would be a shame to miss.

Concerning my technique of "cheating", by crouching down as opposed to lifting off from an erect posture, I realize it is not a recognized technique, but at the same time serves a similar purpose of a push press, or partial press from a higher position, enabling heavier weight.

Despite all the above, you should know by now that the only coaching I have gotten is what I have learned from your book and videos. So despite owning a small gym, and being certified as a gym instructor, why can't you respect the fact that I'm asking for your expert advice, and give a straight answer?

Because, despite having claimed to have read the book and watched the videos, you are not doing a press. Why? Do you not believe me when I say that the program is based on full-ROM movements? I respect an honest attempt that has problems. This is not an honest attempt, and conflating it with humour does not alter the fact.

Because, despite having claimed to have read the book and watched the videos, you are not doing a press. Why? Do you not believe me when I say that the program is based on full-ROM movements? I respect an honest attempt that has problems. This is not an honest attempt, and conflating it with humour does not alter the fact.
    SS page 240: "Partial presses from different pin heights in the rack can be very useful assistance exercises."
    "For presses, set the pins at the desired position, from chin level (just off the shoulders) on up, even as high as slightly below lockout..."

The title of this thread is Partial Presses. What is not legitimate? Honestly, if I'm missing something, help me out. I'm here to learn from you.

The title of the video is "Rabbi Yonason Herschlag Pressing 100 kg." Why would you post a video of a partial on this board, especially in a mis-titled video? And especially after the trainwreck chinup video?

The title of the video is "Rabbi Yonason Herschlag Pressing 100 kg." Why would you post a video of a partial on this board, especially in a mis-titled video? And especially after the trainwreck chinup video?
    And if I post a video of a full-ROM push press, will you honor me with a genuine critique?
    Push Press - YouTube

You're just not a careful reader.

As a plus from this thread, I am no longer worried that my own layback is excessive...at least not compared to the good Rabbi's.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonason Herschlag View Post
    And if I post a video of a full-ROM push press, will you honor me with a genuine critique?
    Push Press - YouTube
    Rabbi, I can quote scripture too:

Page 231: "The squat, bench press, deadlift, press, and clean form the basis of any successful, well-designed training program."

If you're not squatting, pressing, benching, deadlifting, and cleaning every week, you're not doing it right. You shouldn't need 10 days of recovery time for your absurd 40kg PR before you squat again. Likewise, you probably don't require partial movements, and EVEN IF YOU DO, you should be pressing every week anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast