starting strength gym
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An interesting exchange

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Banned_Pavel View Post
    It's some weird women's' problem. I don't think any guy would really mind seeing girls discussing dicks (or whatever they like in men most).
    While I agree with you on the point that most men care less about these things than women, I'm pretty sure if you had a tiny dick and women were talking about you'd be less than thrilled. Breasts can't really be hid like a dick can be so everyone pretty much nows the general approximation of their size. And while it's not an apples to apples comparison as breast size matters less for physical pleasure than a dick, it's still something that does have quantifiable sizes attached to them. You don't get treated like women do on an EVERY FUCKING DAY/WAKING MOMENT so you really can't generalize your experience to theirs. Yes, she should probably be less offended. But like Sully said, you're grossly over-simplifying this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    At the risk of wading into a bad discussion, Rip were being a bit of a dick to "Laura Sims". To be clear, Im not alleging you are sexist and there is a lot of good content for females including recent articles on training during pregnancy and body image/eating disorders, and advice on lower rep ranges etc. I must admit, when I read the start of the thread female breasts and bench press (and several others) I have chosen not to read those threads further.

As a (ugly) guy, if I wrote a question about whether doing bench would make my chest look bad I doubt you would ask for pics, but tell me that this is a strength forum not a bodybuilding forum. Or tell me to DTFP until I can squat 400, bench 300, and pull 500 then decide.

I can absolutely see how your response offended. Seriously, cant you see that? Would you be happy with females in your family being talked to this way?
    At the same risk, you pretty much nailed it Man. Unfortunately this scenario, politics, and just about everything in the world isn't black and white. It's human nature to want an easy right vs wrong answer to anything but it's pretty much never that simple. She should probably be less offended and realize the territory. Rip should also be less of a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    As soon as I read the word "empowered" I thought, "Oh boy, here we go."
    My favorite was "ownership."

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    Rip should also be less of a dick.
    The new Pay Site will employ this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

You're welcome, darling. But blocking my email address will prevent me from inviting you to the wet t-shirt contest we hold here at WFAC every month. This will leave a gaping (sorry) hole (sorry) in your social calendar that can only be filled by ME. The Sexiest Man Alive.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    You really should put the dates in your signature.

The cited "earnest question" regarded sexual aesthetics. Asked by a man. With his wife as the subject. On a very public forum.

It was bizarre -- an odd act of domestic, gender disempowerment on the part of the husband.

I can't think of a better response to this husband's Manresearch than ridicule.

I understand her point, especially if she is a modest, personally conservative person. The comments, while funny, good hearted and good natured, made her uncomfortable. I get it. I have a 16 year old daughter who is very modest like this and I encourage her to avoid situations she finds uncomfortable, as per her own internal dicates.

But this is Rip's site. He owns it and approves of the humor. Thats the tone and tenor of this place. Hit the bricks if you dont like it.

Quote Originally Posted by grumble View Post
    Honestly, she isn't wrong. Those comments were pretty textbook cases of sexism
    She was wrong regardless of the substance of her opinion because she is arrogantly attempting to scold someone when she had no authority to do so.

I honestly can't blame people like this because they are used to people constantly rolling over for them (go re-read the letter again and tell me if you think that's the wrong diagnosis).

Now they've had a of couple days to accustom themselves to the sensation of being disagreed with, and, if they are an introspective person, are probably a better person for it.

She doesn't like the flavor of the free ice cream and would like the world to change so that her portion tastes better.

How amazingly progressive of her.

You don't get treated like women do on an EVERY FUCKING DAY/WAKING MOMENT so you really can't generalize your experience to theirs.
    And there you go generalizing women's experience as if it is uniform or it occurs in some vacuum instead of an interactive situation.

Have to say I don't appreciate Laura's childish positions and complete lack of perspective, humor, or realization that the Universe does not revolve around her perceptions and needs.

Well, dammit, now I'm offended. What do I win?

I mean, there must be some kind of prize for generating the most self-righteous moral indignation of anyone else on the planet, since everyone seems hell-bent on achieving it. Do you get a nice toaster or something?

In hopes that the attitude of this forum will eventually reform, we should institute a contest each month. Anyone who says anything that wouldn't pass the scrutiny of Twitter's Trust and Safety Council, lead by Anita Sarkeesian should be fined $5. At the end of the month, prizes should be awarded to encourage forum users to prove that their indignation is greater that all the other posers.

Prize structure:

1st Place: Queen Harpy

2nd Place: Joyless Scold

3rd Place: White Knight award... (On second thought, never mind. No third place award. Clearly this person is not trying hard enough).

Prizes need to be determined, but I remembered when I was in Alaska a while ago, it was popular for the campers out in the wilderness to use breast shaped doorbells, so that you had to give it a good squeeze to announce your presence. Seems like a good first place prize, and who doesn't need a new doorbell?

starting strength coach development program
    Rip should also be less of a dick.
    He was. Go to the very earliest posts on this forum. What we have today is the result of dealing with us jackasses.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast