starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today in the "online fitness community"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your last question is the reason I approved this post. The entire basis of the Corrective Exercise phenomenon is that an assistance exercise that supposedly emphasizes the allegedly "weak" or "not-'firing' " portion of a basic movement's kinetic chain will strengthen that piece of kinetic chain so that the basic movement can be performed correctly. This is in lieu of backing the basic movement off to a weight that can be executed correctly with that component of the kinetic chain included in the movement, and then coaching the movement correctly so that the lifter can actually learn to maintain correct technique at a heavy weight, and so that the weak piece of the kinetic chain strengthens within the movement pattern in which it has to function, which was the problem in the first place. Because, of course, not coaching is easier. Discuss.
    At what point does it become viable to work on the weak part of the lift and by that I don't mean these god awful useless exercises I mean legitimate accessory work. Just because I was reading Defying Gravity and in first chapter Mr. Starr gives an example that if in your 2 weeks to competition you do your mini-test and you notice that you have issues with the lock-out at the top you should some triceps work.

When you move the intermediate-level programming.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Novelty. It is very difficult to make 5 main lifts and a couple of accessory lifts "sexy." It is very hard to stand out from the crowd when your only focus is on progressive increases in weight on these main lifts. Gotta expand your market. Get published. Attract new clients. Come up with a new way to fuckaround while assigning some deceptively meaningless description about weak points, firing, core stability and lagging body parts and, well, you're the new thing. Problem is novelty always wears off.
    I've read something like this before, thanks for the memory refresh. The fitness gurus need to make their money somehow. Introducing new, fun, and easy workout movements, then proceeding to claim they're effective is how they make their living. If anyone markets their product as hard, difficult, painful, only 5 of the same "boring" exercises 3 days a week, not nearly as many will be willing to fork over their hard earned cash.

Um, wow, this is much worse when you read the article which I accidentally stumbled across. The other thing I am realizing is that I am soon going to have to deal with a bunch of well-intentioned, but stupid and/or ignorant people attempting to squat a barbell up and down a wall. I can't wait for when they think it will become a good idea to "pr" their rolling squats.

Sounds like a good way to fuck up a wall.

Never thought I'd say this, but if someone wants to do an exercise like this they should just use the fucking smith machine. They're not exactly hard to find, and there would be less chance of damaging the gym or its equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Never thought I'd say this, but if someone wants to do an exercise like this they should just use the fucking smith machine. They're not exactly hard to find, and there would be less chance of damaging the gym or its equipment.
    Or just do a hack squat. Want to feel it more in the quads ? increase the weight.

I can see my gym fees going up now when someone decides to do this and forgets all the walls in the weight room are filled with mirrors. Cause you know it's gonna happen. Some people are stupid, just ask the guy at my gym who uses clips on the leg press.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    One of the justifications for this in the article is that you don't "need a multiple thousand dollar piece of equipment" just a barbell and a wall. They do caution to use bumper plates. It's actually quite entertaining...it's like the emperor has no clothes

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    I've read something like this before, thanks for the memory refresh. The fitness gurus need to make their money somehow. Introducing new, fun, and easy workout movements, then proceeding to claim they're effective is how they make their living. If anyone markets their product as hard, difficult, painful, only 5 of the same "boring" exercises 3 days a week, not nearly as many will be willing to fork over their hard earned cash.
    TV Series proposal: The Biggest Gainer

A show in which 6 underdeveloped, improperly nourished contestants compete over a 12 week period to develop the greatest strength and most powerful physique suited for a long life of sustained high physical mobility, competitive pursuits and general utility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast