starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qualities a novice trainees must ADOPT...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I love eating. If I got tons of money, I would be eating all kinds of food everyday. But my budget is controlled by my parents, so got to have some self-control there by not exceeding RM20 a day. Anyways, based on my experience being an anorexic, skinny guys often don't enough because are afraid of losing their six pack. Of course, looking dry all the time, having skin fold as thin as paper, veins on the abs are something these guys feel proud of themselves. But in fact, because they're so skinny, it's not something to be proud of, in fact being at this state is very unhealthy and depressing sometimes as you'll notice a drastic decrease in performance and mental well-being (based on my experience). Now I've let go of that, I've now fully dedicated myself into getting big by not worrying about eating at a huge surplus or gaining a bit of fat. Getting bigger and muscular doesn't need to be hard. It's all in your head. You've got to let go of who you think you are and what people will think of you. Accept the present moment as it is. Enjoy the process and know that by doing so, you're body is gonna look way better than it is maybe a year or 2 from now.

Quote Originally Posted by nykid View Post
    150 lbs at 5'10 when I was 20 years old. Then I started lifting and gained 25 lbs in 3 months.
    5'10" 175 would still be a skinny bastard

I never really understand when people say this. What's so hard about eating a few more meals? Ok maybe for an elite athlete who's burning thousands of calories a day in exercise, but for most people it's *really* not that hard to add a few hundred calories and get the scale moving. It does not require being uncomfortable all the time. It's not "hard" the way dieting down is. It just requires a (relatively simple) psychological commitment. And I say this as a former skinny bastard - high school wrestler, 150 lbs at 5'10 when I was 20 years old. Then I started lifting and gained 25 lbs in 3 months. It really wasn't that hard - I just drank some milk and ate some peanut butter. Now I have to make an effort not to gain weight.

But, your overall point is taken.
    You're 175-180 lbs at 5'10 and you're saying what's hard about it as if you're a decent weight?
    The hard part is the fact that you are bloated all the time, that you need to pop extra meals, eat past fullness and the biggest thing about eating more food is the fact that you lift heavier which is by far harder than trying to hit singles or doubles and just eating less.

The only hard part about dieting is if you're wanting to get below 10% however above that it's very easy to achieve abs. Saying this as a guy that did normal cuts and RFL 2.0 for 6 weeks (a diet of roughly 180p/20c/20f macros for 6 days a week and 1 carb refeed day).

I never really understand when people say this. What's so hard about eating a few more meals? Ok maybe for an elite athlete who's burning thousands of calories a day in exercise, but for most people it's *really* not that hard to add a few hundred calories and get the scale moving. It does not require being uncomfortable all the time. It's not "hard" the way dieting down is. It just requires a (relatively simple) psychological commitment. And I say this as a former skinny bastard - high school wrestler, 150 lbs at 5'10 when I was 20 years old. Then I started lifting and gained 25 lbs in 3 months. It really wasn't that hard - I just drank some milk and ate some peanut butter. Now I have to make an effort not to gain weight.
    If I eat the amount with which I feel comfortable, i.e., I eat so I don't feel sick but satiated, and I wait until I am moderately hungry before I eat again, I will lose weight very very fast in my current state. I am now about 84kg (185lbs) and I am gaining about a pound per week or so. I feel stuffed all the time. I have "bulked up" from 71kg last Christmas. I am only now getting used to this eating thing.

I was a skinny bastard my whole life. They almost kicked me out of the army for being so skinny; I weighed 57kg (125lbs) while I was 184cm (6'+) when I went in and I was still growing. I weighed barely 60kg (135lbs) after my service and I had grown to 185cm (6'1", about). I was like that whole my adult life, at my heaviest I was about 70kg when I was 23 and doing some silly bullshit "training" in the gym, fooling around eating soy protein and something other similar stupid stuff. I never ever could eat so much that I could gain weight even when I tried. It wasn't until I started doing the program (the weight training part) at 39yrs that I found the spirit to just eat. Even then I wasn't eating enough, and boy, I felt I just couldn't swallow any more food than I already did. And I wasn't eating clean either, several double cheeseburgers a day, more than a kilo of peanut butter a week, etc.

Some people just don't gain weight that easily. On the other hand I didn't know about GOMAD and SS when I was a 23yo skinny gymbro with abs and no muscle. OP knows, though he is from some asian country where eggs are cheaper than milk. Maybe he can come up with DEAD (dozen eggs a day).

Costco sells delicious tiramisu, which is made with 90% fat marscapone cheese and sugar. 8 servings per box. I'd be surprised if anyone eating half a box per day in addition to his regular "clean" eating didn't start to gain weight.

I'd maybe add consistency as a bonus suggestion. Just keep plugging away, session after session, day after day, week after week. It all accumulates.

Eh, I'm a former ultra skinny-fat dude and I can attest that eating to gain weight can be pretty tough. Especially given that I'd lost 60lbs at one point and trying to get it back as the right weight while eating the right things can be tough. Sometimes just eating more peanut butter isn't enough, if you're controlling for macros and you don't have a ton of extra fat to eat, eating more rice and chicken can be down right awful. And that was only at about 4k calories a day. I can't imagine having to eat 6.

I believe the hardest part of SS & LP is the eating. Yea, bumping up you calories from 2500 to 3500 isn't so hard, but once you get to the point that you need to get 5000+ calories down to get your bodyweight to increase it gets really difficult and really expensive. Especially if you aren't just downing cheeseburgers and ice cream.

starting strength coach development program
    I never really understand when people say this. What's so hard about eating a few more meals?
    At some point eating turns into force feeding. One might have to do it at 1000 kcal - other at 6000+ kcal. If you don't understand it then you just haven't reached/approached your limit (or you are a genetic freak).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12