starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: question from a "Recovering" Long distance runner

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No Giri, it means you will not be playing in the NFL.
    How much does size affect SVJ? Looking at NFL combine numbers, the top guys are usually wide receives, running backs, or defensive backs who will hit 40"+ whereas linemen will cap out at 30" or so. But linemen will also be 6'5+ and over 300 lbs versus some of those others being below 200. Some of it is that guys who are super explosive got put into those speed dependent positions but at the same time if you get a guy who's 6'7 you're almost certainly putting him on the line.

Shane Hamman had a 36" at 365. The lines are not speed dependent?

Shane Hamman was exactly who came to mind as a counterpoint. Getting off the snap quickly is vital and that's directly tied to explosiveness/power. Not so much speed dependent though, no as the 10 second split time for a lineman is more important than the 40 yard total time, unlike the others. But looking at NFL combine numbers, the best lineman in the past decade was a 35.5 at 315. The top two all time are 45" at 197 lbs and 213 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    Is there a support group for runners, something like AA?

Running is highly addictive and it is easy to fall into the same patterns over and over again. Especially if you are not making progress in lifting, a slight dip in motivation may set you off. I wish I was kidding, but I am not. I hit a plateau at some point and I just felt I had to start running. First it was like 4K ("I can handle this") and pretty soon you end up running 10 miles on a Sunday morning thinking "This won't hurt my squat that much". It is just like alcoholism.
    Running is indeed Highly addictive, they call it "runners high" for a reason. It wasn't uncommon for me to run 20 miles every Sunday and average close to 100 miles per week at my peak. But The gains in strength and muscle mass are just as a addictive. I also feel much healthier, I haven't been injured since i started lifting. When I was Running long distance I had a different nagging injury every week (shin splints, "runners knee", IT band issues, Planter fasciitis, etc.)

Obviously no one in this thread actually knows what an addiction is

Tell us, Kregna. We know the difference between compulsive behavior, physical dependence, and addiction, the terms have been used "loosely" admittedly, but you're now going to straighten out this horrible mess for us. Type.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Obviously no one in this thread actually knows what an addiction is
    I highly doubt you have the faintest idea of what I, or anyone else here for that matter, knows about addiction. I can let you in on something; I have nursed an opioid-addicted close relative. It is no fun watching an athletic, smart, honest young man degenerate to a lying, cheating, stealing, pale, emaciated, sickly, quivering excuse of a human being. And to help them through rehab, gain 50lbs of muscle, find a job, start a family and get their shit together until after some years revert to the same pale quivering mess of lies and excuses.

I am not offended by your "obviously no one knows"-quip. You can't know what I, or anyone else, knows.

And yes, running is addictive. It is an addiction. No, it is not like heroin addiction, but it is an addiction. You feel you *must* go running. You are ready to do it even when there is great cost. You run more than you planned to (like, you go for a 5K round and end up running it twice). You do it even when you know it hurts some other thing you hold dear, like, you are supposed to follow a lifting program, and you lie to yourself that it won't hurt your lifts if you go running. When you are supposed to spend time with the kids, you let the kids play video games for an extra hour so you can go running. If you don't do it, you get depressed, anxious, and jittery. You feel sick.

So, all in all, I think obviously either you know nothing about running or you don't know much about addiction.

Kregna is an offensive little quasi-intellectual turd, condescending for no apparent reason, and the most annoying troll on this board. And the only reason he's still here is that the boys in E&P enjoy flogging him, so he provides some entertainment. You may not be offended (although that may be a typo), but those of us on this board that know about addiction do not need Kregna's skinny little ass telling us that we need him to share his "wisdom."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    I highly doubt you have the faintest idea of what I, or anyone else here for that matter, knows about addiction. I can let you in on something; I have nursed an opioid-addicted close relative. It is no fun watching an athletic, smart, honest young man degenerate to a lying, cheating, stealing, pale, emaciated, sickly, quivering excuse of a human being. And to help them through rehab, gain 50lbs of muscle, find a job, start a family and get their shit together until after some years revert to the same pale quivering mess of lies and excuses.

I am not offended by your "obviously no one knows"-quip. You can't know what I, or anyone else, knows.

And yes, running is addictive. It is an addiction. No, it is not like heroin addiction, but it is an addiction. You feel you *must* go running. You are ready to do it even when there is great cost. You run more than you planned to (like, you go for a 5K round and end up running it twice). You do it even when you know it hurts some other thing you hold dear, like, you are supposed to follow a lifting program, and you lie to yourself that it won't hurt your lifts if you go running. When you are supposed to spend time with the kids, you let the kids play video games for an extra hour so you can go running. If you don't do it, you get depressed, anxious, and jittery. You feel sick.

So, all in all, I think obviously either you know nothing about running or you don't know much about addiction.
    Sounds like I was wrong about the running. Sorry, my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Kregna is an offensive little quasi-intellectual turd, condescending for no apparent reason, and the most annoying troll on this board. And the only reason he's still here is that the boys in E&P enjoy flogging him, so he provides some entertainment. You may not be offended (although that may be a typo), but those of us on this board that know about addiction do not need Kregna's skinny little ass telling us that we need him to share his "wisdom."
    Mark when did you turn into such an oversensitive little pussy?

This was you in 2014:
    We fuck with Kregna here, because he's a goofball. But we're not worried about him. He'll grow up and be fine. The bag of vomit across the street here, like Matt's cousin, just needs to hurry up and die. They are drinking water we could be using to flush our toilets.

Just because you clench your hairy fists over my online posts doesn't make me a troll. It means you need to unplug from the fucking internet

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    This was you in 2014:
    We fuck with Kregna here, because he's a goofball. But we're not worried about him. He'll grow up and be fine.
    Because you have not grown up, and you are not fine.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast