starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: question from a "Recovering" Long distance runner

Default question from a "Recovering" Long distance runner

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am a former long distance runner. I was a high school Cross Country Runner that weighed a mere 138lbs but could run a 4:13 mile at 18 yrs old. today at 25 years old, I have since come to my senses after reading Starting Strength. I have gotten to a body weight of 195-205lbs (depending on the day) and have recently squatted 405 for 5. However I have seen many strength coaches claim that a past career as a long distance runner permanently stunts your ability to produce power and become a high level strength athlete due to too many slow twitch muscle fibers. Is this true? am i unlikely to ever be able to squat, say 500 for 5 reps, because of my past as a distance runner?

What is your Standing Vertical Jump? This is more predictive of your power potential than past misguided activities.

Best I have ever done is around 24 or 25 inches

You're a little better than average, so your power production will not be freak-level. But you can get pretty strong on the primary strength exercises if you don't fall off the wagon and start running again.

Thank You, I appreciate your help. I don't think I will ever go back to running... i'm 3 years "sober."

Easy Does It.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're a little better than average, so your power production will not be freak-level. But you can get pretty strong on the primary strength exercises if you don't fall off the wagon and start running again.
    My SVJ of 15.5" doesn't bode well for me, does it, Mark?

No Giri, it means you will not be playing in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But you can get pretty strong on the primary strength exercises if you don't fall off the wagon and start running again.
    Is there a support group for runners, something like AA?

Running is highly addictive and it is easy to fall into the same patterns over and over again. Especially if you are not making progress in lifting, a slight dip in motivation may set you off. I wish I was kidding, but I am not. I hit a plateau at some point and I just felt I had to start running. First it was like 4K ("I can handle this") and pretty soon you end up running 10 miles on a Sunday morning thinking "This won't hurt my squat that much". It is just like alcoholism.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    Running is highly addictive and it is easy to fall into the same patterns over and over again. Especially if you are not making progress in lifting, a slight dip in motivation may set you off. I wish I was kidding, but I am not. I hit a plateau at some point and I just felt I had to start running. First it was like 4K ("I can handle this") and pretty soon you end up running 10 miles on a Sunday morning thinking "This won't hurt my squat that much". It is just like alcoholism.
    It's weird that the running itself is addicting but only gains in strength training are addicting. Thankfully my addictive tendencies have never applied to running.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast