starting strength gym

Thread: Back issues -- sorry another spondylolisthesis thread

Default Back issues -- sorry another spondylolisthesis thread

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    44 - Male - Intermediate experienced lifter

Back issues that came to light with right leg & foot parasthesias, that builds to sufficient numbness in the right foot that my gait is altered. Started about 18 months ago, steadily has grown worse. I can lift & exercise with no ill effects, but if I go for a 15 min. walk, then my foot goes numb and I have to sit down. I have a grade one spondylolysthesis (L5-S1) and other minor issues. The imaging results are posted at bottom.

I had a spinal injection (lumbar L5-S1 ESI TF ) about 10 days ago, which has has not improved my condition. I return to the Dr. in a couple weeks, she had commented that one injection might not be insufficient at the onset.

In full disclosure, I should admit my own stupidity for having fell into the CF camp for the last 6 years. This despite having learned better after attending SS seminar in Nov. 2014 with Ripp, Matt, Steph, and couple other instructors. This despite plateauing in virtually every lift after the novice effect was done, despite feeling beat up and sore virtually every day in some body part...Anyway, confession out the way, I'm no longer doing kipping anything....

I have been not exercising since I found out in late July and it's driving me nuts. Also, this prolonged rest period has not improved my symptoms either.

Searching the forums here have been helpful, coach has commented/suggested in previous posts to stay away from ballistic movements, stay way from flexion/extension exercises like situps and back extensions, be careful with the press, do not train with 1RM in back squat & deadlift.

So where to start? I what to do with Power Cleans & Standing Press was thinking maybe start with the SS Novice program with a reset of 25-30% but not sure. Cleans are ballistic, so do I just pull them completely out of the mix, or substitute a completely different movement? What should I watch for on the press, just keep light enough not to have excessive layback? I'm

Not really sure where to go here, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Sean
    -----------------------------
    X-Ray
    Findings: Moderate disc degeneration L1-2 with disc space narrowing and spurring. Degenerative change lower lumbar apophyseal joints. Grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L5-S1. No additional significant findings.

Impression: Grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L5-S1 possibly related to degenerative change of the apophyseal joints. I cannot completely exclude L5 spondylolysis. Moderate disc degeneration at L1-2.

MRI Results
    FINDINGS:

There is L5-S1 grade 1 spondylolisthesis secondary to chronic bilateral L5 spondylolysis. The lumbar vertebral bodies are otherwise normal in signal, height, and alignment. The paraspinal soft tissues are normal.

The conus medullaris terminates at the L1-L2 level. The distal spinal cord, conus medullaris, and cauda equina are normal in signal and morphology. There is mild congenital narrowing of the spinal canal.

L1-L2: There is mild disc space narrowing, a mild disc bulge, and minimal Modic type I endplate change with resultant minimal central spinal canal stenosis. There is no foraminal stenosis.

L2-L3: There is a mild disc bulge asymmetric to the left with resultant mild left foraminal stenosis. There is no central spinal canal stenosis.

L3-L4: There is disc desiccation and a mild disc bulge with resultant mild central spinal canal stenosis and mild right foraminal stenosis. A left foraminal disc protrusion with an annular fissure causes at least mild to moderate left foraminal stenosis.

L5-S1: There is mild disc desiccation, a mild disc bulge asymmetric to the right, and uncovering of the disc secondary to grade 1 spondylolisthesis. There is no central spinal canal stenosis. There is moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis.

IMPRESSION:

1. L5-S1 grade 1 spondylolisthesis secondary to chronic bilateral L5 spondylolysis with resultant moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis.
    2. Additional mild multilevel lumbar degenerative changes as detailed above.

Your back is fucked up. Welcome to the club. Don't do power cleans.

Thanks Coach.