starting strength gym
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Chili, boys.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    ..., can we please address Fritos on top versus Fritos on bottom? I believe Fritos go on the bottom, and putting them on top is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
    Fritos on bottom is important for the corn-meal effect. And this is from a noob.

I don't know what the hell "curry leaves" are, but they have nothing to do with curry powder or any dish called "Curry"

Chili should have onion, garlic and oregano IMO. I guess there is a little garlic and onion in the pico but I like it caramelized with the meat like God intended. Also, I've had my butcher give me a super coarse, extra fatty ground beef for chili that came out wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    I don't know what the hell "curry leaves" are, but they have nothing to do with curry powder or any dish called "Curry".
    Try this for your next curry:

- Grind 2 onions, 1 or 2 green chilis, & 3 gloves garlic in food processor. Set aside
    - Heat vegetable oil in a non-stick pan. Add 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds; 8 curry leaves; a cinnamon stick and 4 whole black cardamoms.
    - When the cumin seeds start crackling, add in the onion-chili-garlic paste. Cook on low until onions carmelize (about 20-30 minutes).
    - Add 1/2 tsp each of salt, turmeric, cayenne pepper, garam masala, and paprika. Add 4 tsp of coriander powder. Mix with onion spice base.
    - Add 28ox tomato puree.

^ cook all this for ~45 min on low

###

This is your curry base henceforth.

You add corn meal/tortilla chips to thicken the sauce.

You add Fritos for textural contrast. Adding Fritos on the bottom will make them soggy, which defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Try this for your next curry:

- Grind 2 onions, 1 or 2 green chilis, & 3 gloves garlic in food processor. Set aside
    - Heat vegetable oil in a non-stick pan. Add 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds; 8 curry leaves; a cinnamon stick and 4 whole black cardamoms.
    - When the cumin seeds start crackling, add in the onion-chili-garlic paste. Cook on low until onions carmelize (about 20-30 minutes).
    - Add 1/2 tsp each of salt, turmeric, cayenne pepper, garam masala, and paprika. Add 4 tsp of coriander powder. Mix with onion spice base.
    - Add 28ox tomato puree.

^ cook all this for ~45 min on low

###

This is your curry base henceforth.

I've never heard of curry leaves prior to this thread. Learn something new every day.

I dated a Guyanese girl of Indian extraction, her mom taught me her curry recipe.
    A key component to the flavor was a whole habanero or two dropped in to stew.
    It lends some heat and nice flavor if you don't let it burst. Or accidentally eat it whole.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    You add corn meal/tortilla chips to thicken the sauce.

You add Fritos for textural contrast. Adding Fritos on the bottom will make them soggy, which defeats the purpose.
    Counterpoint: you are a slow eater.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    habanero or two dropped in to stew.
    I can't do habaneros. They seem to impart a wall of heat with no real flavor.

I use Indian or a Thai chilis for my curry.

I also usually sub the vegetable oil with about 2-4 tablespoons of clarified butter.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    Counterpoint: you are a slow eater.
    Counterpoint: I like food.

People that like food don't try to get it in their stomach as quickly as possible. You enjoy the meal, savor the flavors, etc.

Like alcohol, some people just want to take shots and get hammered, some prefer to sip on quality drinks.

So; say a fella was going to make some Texas Chili but wanted to add some cocoa or unsweetened chocolate, how much would you add?

starting strength coach development program
    None, because Texas Chili doesn't have cocoa as an ingredient.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast