starting strength gym
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Texas Chili, boys.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I can't do habaneros. They seem to impart a wall of heat with no real flavor.

I use Indian or a Thai chilis for my curry.

I also usually sub the vegetable oil with about 2-4 tablespoons of clarified butter.
    I am yet to eat a habanero that has a as much flavour as an Indian green chilli. Thai chillis are amazing. And can liquify your guts if you aren't careful. Throw those suckers into a dish of Penang beef, and the entire concoction is god's own food, m'man.

Eat with sticky rice.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Tastes much better too.

Once a year - around Christmas - I'll make an onion soup that requires about 4 hours just to caramelize the onions. I always start to feel slightly insane heading into hour 4.
    Recipe ?

I'm going to try Brent's version this weekend. Never had Texas chili. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    Recipe ?
    I use Thomas Keller's recipe:

THOMAS KELLER'S ONION SOUP recipe | Epicurious.com

A couple of things to point out

- don't use a shitty prepared beef stock from the soup aisle. The soup will be disappointing. Either make your own stock or use a really good concentrated product ( I like Savory Choice beef concentrate. Better Than Bullion is pretty good too).

- Be super fussy prepping the onions. You want uniformly thick slices or else they'll all carmelize at different rates.

- A ceramic lined Dutch Oven works best for the epic 4-hour carmelization process. You have to be insanely fastidious with temperature control or else you'll just burn the onions. The onions should be a very deep, scatalogical brown at the end of the carmelization process.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrl_19 View Post
    I'm going to try Brent's version this weekend. Never had Texas chili. Looking forward to it.

Brent's version is great, the Mexican cotija cheese, cilantro, and minced onion toppings really gives it an authentic flavor.
    Survives freezing/reheating quite well.

I can't wait to try Rip's recipe. I'm thinking about using some de-boned beef short ribs for the not very lean meat, and maybe searing it over the grill with a little touch of smoke wood.

Rip, I finished your chili recipe last night - used a pork shoulder. Oh, man. You guys have to try it.

Wife and I could not get enough of it. It went great with roasted squash, but what I really wanted was a baked potato. This recipe is going into heavy rotation.

Thanks for all you do, Rip.

The problem with a lot of curries prepared by non asians, is thay you guys let your spices boil with the other stuff till the curry is done. Let an Indian tell you how it's done.

1) Take Beef.

2) Take onions, Ginger, garlic, curry leaves.

3) Take your turmeric, and chilli powder. Obviously how much you use determines how hot the curry becomes.

4) Use ghee if you can. Oil will work if you don't have ghee.

5) Slice up the onions. Heat up Ghee till fairly hot- throw in curry leaves and let it impart flavour to the fat. Throw onions in and let simmer till golden brown( adding salt will hurry this up)- a darker onion will make a darker curry. Dice up garlic and ginger. I always throw in ginger first. Let ginger fry for a bit, and then crush garlic and throw those suckers in. Fry on low heat till garlic is pleasantly browned.

4) By this point, the moisture content of the onions have been reduced and the sugars cooked a bit- caramelised, if you will. It is at this point one throws in the chilli and garlic powder. They will bind to the caramelised onions and impart smokiness, in addition to heat. It is a superlative combination

5) Throw in a bay leaf, give it a minute or so. The tomatoes go in now. If done right, the onions/ ginger/garlic/ powder mix has been sitting on the heat for about 20 minutes and is starting to verge on very dark. The addition of the tomatoes will add a bit of moisture and save it from burning. Let the tomatoes cook down for a bit with the lid on.

6) sitting on the heat for an extended period of time reduces the tomatoes to an anonymous background taste, detectable but not enjoyable. I prefer ky tomatoes cut into quarters and left unpulverized by a spoon.

7) Let the mixture fry a bit more, throw in beef. If you're using a pressure cooker, a couple of whistles your lunch is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    Let an Indian tell you how it's done.

1) Take Beef.
    Don't you guys go to Hell or some such place if you kill cattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I ain't got no truck with religion, good sir.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hell is an iron cage and heaven is a golden one. Point is for the soul to seek freedom beyond either binaries etc.
    Hindus aren't all that bothered about hell or heaven.
    How does it work out for Norse pagans?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast