starting strength gym
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 whiskeys for beginners

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip et al,

Novice questions (just bought my first 2 bottles, Glenmorangie 10 and Rittenhouse BIB):

As I explained, carefully watering it down to 80 proof allows more solubles to fall out of the alcohol fraction, making them accessible to your palate.
    How does one, "carefully" water down to 80 proof? Calculations or by taste? Using a gross calculation C1 * V1 = C2 * V2 (C = proof, V = volume) ie, 86 (proof) * 3 oz = 80 (proof) * V2 => V2 = 3.225 so add .225 of an ounce of water.

Balcones makes a product called "Brimstone" that is similar. It will usually be the last dram of the evening, because you can't taste anything else afterwards.
    Is the correct definition of dram, 1/8 of an ounce?

I'm trying not to overthink this and just enjoy what I've gotten myself into. For now I pour 2 shots (3 oz) of whisky into a glass, taste to see what full strength tastes like and then add small amount so water to dilute to 80 proof.

Thanks for the introduction and knowledge.

-buck

Quote Originally Posted by bl3 View Post
    How does one, "carefully" water down to 80 proof? Calculations or by taste? Using a gross calculation C1 * V1 = C2 * V2 (C = proof, V = volume) ie, 86 (proof) * 3 oz = 80 (proof) * V2 => V2 = 3.225 so add .225 of an ounce of water.
    One does not calculate volumetrics while one enjoys a dram. One titrates to taste, relying on experience.

Is the correct definition of dram, 1/8 of an ounce?
    A fluid dram is 1/8 of one fluid ounce. A Dram is a small glass of whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    One titrates to taste, relying on experience..
    This is what I'm working on.

Thanks for the info.

Just putting in my thanks for an excellent thread. Bought some Eagle Rare and liking it quite a bit. Will try either the Laphroaig or Glenmorangie next. Haven't found any of the ryes either of you listed in the area yet, but will continue to keep searching.

I've tried the Eagle Rare, Rittenhouse and Glenmorangie based on this thread - been pleased with all three. Just got to try a Yamazaki 12 the other day - very very good. I think I'll look for Weller 107 next.

If you do another whiskey video, I second the request to do a water titration demonstration. My taste buds are, regrettably, still in their novice progression, and it would be informative to see advanced taste buds at work. Though as I wrote that, the thought came to mind that perhaps novice taste buds shouldn't train like advanced taste buds. This is a dilemma...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Neilsen View Post
    If you do another whiskey video, I second the request to do a water titration demonstration
    I'm using a kitchen scale until the eye develops. To make it obvious, tare the empty glass, then tare the bourbon.

W = B (P - 80) / 80

Where W is water, B is Bourbon, and P is Proof.

Simple case:

For 1 oz 100 Proof Bourbon, add 1/4 oz Water to obtain an 80 proof beverage. I prefer to titrate with dixie cups.

Barbaric, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    One does not calculate volumetrics while one enjoys a dram. One titrates to taste, relying on experience.
    Autoregulated boozing. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I'm using a kitchen scale until the eye develops. To make it obvious, tare the empty glass, then tare the bourbon.

W = B (P - 80) / 80

Where W is water, B is Bourbon, and P is Proof.

Simple case:

For 1 oz 100 Proof Bourbon, add 1/4 oz Water to obtain an 80 proof beverage. I prefer to titrate with dixie cups.

Barbaric, I know.
    Why didn't I think of this...

I just tried it out with a Rittenhouse BIB (100 proof) - that was more water than I was expecting, but the end result was great. I guess I had it in my head that that much water was too much dilution...go figure.

I felt a little ridiculous measuring out a dram on a food scale, but if that's what it takes to learn the point, so be it!

Thanks friend!

Quote Originally Posted by bl3 View Post

How does one, "carefully" water down to 80 proof? Calculations or by taste?
    I just drop in a bit of distilled water from the coffee machine and taste it. After a while you don't get too excited about it. You just add and enjoy. Frankly I enjoy the company more than trying to get a perfect ratio.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Neilsen View Post
    Thanks friend!
    Gladly. You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Frankly I enjoy the company more than trying to get a perfect ratio.
    Of course.

But I drink alone.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast