starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cross fit advice please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Max effort power output ALWAYS HURTS

Ok so basically, get stronger, do conditioning as in endurance training like running on my recovery days??
    I'm very new to crossfit! But I'm not new to training, in my prime lifting days I can bench 335, deadlift 405, squat 315, I've never done the Olympic lifts before until now and I love the lifts!
    But please tell me why all the negativity and "stupidity" comments are directed to crossfit?? I don't understand. I do agree that jumping over a bar is kinda goofy and a recipe for injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelli Nielson View Post
    What the crap do you think high level crossfit athletes do for training? I'll give you a hint... it's not Fran.

Do the program. If you don't have strength first, you can forget about being capable of doing the rest.
    Most of them do well past the program and into intermediate and probably even advanced programing.

Curious why this question is brought here and not their forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Rip, I'm a HUGE admirer of yours, just wanted to get some quick advice from you. Im interested in competing at the highest level Im capable of, in Crossfit. You said if a cyclist can increase his overall strength his endurance will increase due to increasing his overall power output capacity. Is there a way to do the same thing to a high intensity stand point? Is there a way I can train crossfit where it becomes EASY? In other words, MY GOAL is to become the strongest,with the highest level of muscle endurance, and stamina I POSSIBLY CAN. I enjoy being the best I possibly can, amongst others in the room. Thank you! Looking forward to hearing back!
    How about some history? Age, height, weight, current lifts, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    I would strongly recommend you reconsider your choice of "sport".
    I agree.

What you CAN do to make CrossFit easier is to train for strength and then add conditioning work into your program 3-4 weeks before your competition. If you have not exhausted your novice LP gains yet I would start there following the Starting Strength Model. DO NOT do WoDs, MetCons or any other silly bullshit during the time that are running SS. Focus on recovery and gaining muscular body weight. AFTER you have exhausted your novice LP choose an intermediate program that includes the five basic lifts you've done for SS but that also includes the Olympic lifts that are performed in CrossFit.
    This is kind of one of those things that makes sense only when looking at long term development, which is what we as coaches do. You cannot just do strength training for months and then add in conditioning 3-4 weeks before a competition and expect to do well- it doesn't work like that if you want to be good. Sure, most absolutely need to be stronger in order to be competitive in CrossFit at a high level- a LOT of time spent training has to have been applied to a person posessing very good genetics. Still, the sentiment that all work should be strength for an athlete in this realm is incorrect unless we're talking about a novice, who is not yet an athlete- you feel me?

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Rome,

Since strength is the capacity to produce force and everything we do requires force production, becoming stronger makes everything easier. It's always going to be easier to clean and jerk 135lb for 30 reps for time, when you can deadlift 500lb vs. when you can deadlift 225lb, that is, if you're inclined to participate in such stupidity to begin with.
    Well, that's true sure. But how about if you can deadlift 405 vs 500? That's a more nuanced discussion don't you think?

That said, if you train Crossfit, i.e. try to progressively get better and better at it, it will never be easy. This is like asking how you could train to make squatting easy. Squatting will never be easy, you will simply get stronger, and what was once a heavy weight for you will one day feel light.
    The Lemond quote told to me by Steve Hill regarding cycling "It never get's easier, you just get faster."

If you're interested in competing at Crossfit, realize that you don't get competitive at Crossfit by actually doing Crossfit, i.e. random WODs. You need to get very strong, and once you're very strong, work on all the Crossfit-specific skills and adaptations.
    How would you suggest someone get good at CrossFit without doing CrossFit? Furthermore, what is CrossFit?

Quote Originally Posted by JSpoon View Post
    I typically don't post. I just try to read, absorb and learn.
    But I'll give my unsolicited opinion.
    Do you have a goal in mind? Something that is feasible and measurable? Example- I want to weight over 200lbs, lift specific amounts.
    If yes, this is the program to do it. Period.

It seems to me you're asking if SS can make you a competitve CFer. In my opinion there are too many variables because there is a gamesmanship to competitive CFing. If you want to get good at handstand walking and kipping... well bud we don't talk about that in here. Now if you want to discuss how to properly press your body weight overhead. And do it the correct way every time. The coaches and training on here will get you there.
    I think the person who is best at CF wins at competitive meets. Not necessarily the strongest. Do you want to train or exercise?
    I'm not an expert. I'm not a competitve CFer. I'm an average dude who does SS in my garage. But the data of my lifts are higher than ever. Even after CF for two years. Good luck

Spoon
    I think that the real question regarding CF and SS's application to it (that the OP has NOT asked but we're opining on) is "What should I do if I am a novice and want to be good at CrossFit?" Well- you should do SS and exhaust LP, then begin intermediate programming with a slightly higher bias on the Olympic lifts than typically done. Then later start adding in development of skills and energy systems. This cannot be done all at once if none of these things are already present, thus it must be done over a long, long time and most people have no business doing it including this author.

I'm not new to lifting, I AM new to cross fit. Its an odd training philosophy but I do enjoy it and would like to try it as a sport. My PRs for my lifts are Bench Press:335lbs, Squat:315lbs, Dead lift: 405lbs. (still new to the olympic lifts but I've got some experience with them) and Im weighing about 227-230lbs (30% body fat). Im not in the best conditioning and was trying to apply Rips scientific approach to solve the Crossfit problem. I want to show cross fitters how to properly perform lol and be one of the best athletes in that "sport".

I want to learn how to do the olympics lifts as perfect as I can, even when under extreme fatigue, as well as without injury. Also If possible get my conditioning to a point so high where the "cross fit" stuff they ask of me becomes "super easy, easier, a walk in the park, where people say 'WOW he is a machine'". lol kinda goofy to state to others, but I don't care, and nothing will stop me. I WILL find a way to do that, I just sincerely wanted Rips take on it. I didn't realize SS was against CF.

Get as strong as you possibly can first.

You will enjoy this process so much that you will forget about Crossfit.

If for some reason you still haven't forgotten about Crossfit, spend a 2-4 weeks on conditioning and you'll be all set.

OP: you would be wise to read and heed what the coaches have to say.

In my humble experience, I do not believe you will. You seem largely uninformed on strength training and programing, and you have an abundance of enthusiasm for CrossFit. Most people, in your situation, just need the experience of randomized exercises across a broad range of modalities, and the over-training (and probably injury) that goes with it. Until you have trod the path of burpees and sprinting between deadlifts for time you probably won't believe any of us.

I do, sincerely, wish you the best of luck, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    The Lemond quote told to me by Steve Hill regarding cycling "It never get's easier, you just get faster."
    This has been my experience with cycling to and from work and the gym. I used to keep thinking "when are my squat gains going to show in my cycling ease?". As I was whizzing past almost everyone else on the road one day, I realised I had been asking the wrong question. Drag can go ingest a bag of phallic symbols that aren't really symbols, though. The sound alone, Jesus Christ.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I agree.

This cannot be done all at once if none of these things are already present, thus it must be done over a long, long time and most people have no business doing it including this author.
    Hey, Jordan, glad you poked in and made some great points -- especially since this guy seems like an already fairly well-trained athlete (or formerly well-trained?) and not your usual SS novice. Would love to hear you expand on your experience though. I count you as a well-trained strength athlete who had at least a passing interest in the CF games competition. Why does "this author" have "no business doing it"? You mean you would never compete for first rank because you don't have the time to devote to the training or maybe the genetic potential to be number one and therefore you're not interested? Or is there some other analysis behind that comment? Just curious -- absolutely not trying to stir shit - as I said, you have a pretty unique perspective on the whole thing...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast