starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cross fit advice please

Default cross fit advice please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, I'm a HUGE admirer of yours, just wanted to get some quick advice from you. Im interested in competing at the highest level Im capable of, in Crossfit. You said if a cyclist can increase his overall strength his endurance will increase due to increasing his overall power output capacity. Is there a way to do the same thing to a high intensity stand point? Is there a way I can train crossfit where it becomes EASY? In other words, MY GOAL is to become the strongest,with the highest level of muscle endurance, and stamina I POSSIBLY CAN. I enjoy being the best I possibly can, amongst others in the room. Thank you! Looking forward to hearing back!

So many misconceptions here. So little time. Gentlemen/Ladies?

Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Rip, I'm a HUGE admirer of yours, just wanted to get some quick advice from you. Im interested in competing at the highest level Im capable of, in Crossfit. You said if a cyclist can increase his overall strength his endurance will increase due to increasing his overall power output capacity. Is there a way to do the same thing to a high intensity stand point? Is there a way I can train crossfit where it becomes EASY? In other words, MY GOAL is to become the strongest,with the highest level of muscle endurance, and stamina I POSSIBLY CAN. I enjoy being the best I possibly can, amongst others in the room. Thank you! Looking forward to hearing back!
    I'll take this light work for you, Rip.

Rome. Search function.

In the words of Master Gunnery Sargent Franklin...

"Cleared hot. Knock yo'self out, wild man."

Im interested in competing at the highest level Im capable of, in Crossfit.
    I would strongly recommend you reconsider your choice of "sport".

You said if a cyclist can increase his overall strength his endurance will increase due to increasing his overall power output capacity. Is there a way to do the same thing to a high intensity stand point?
    I am unsure of Rip's exact quote regarding this matter, but it wasn't that. If someone increases their absolute strength it will have a positive effect on all other aspects of physical performance, because strength is the base on which all other attributes are built. An endurance athlete utilizes a long series of sub-maximal muscle contractions in order to propel themselves. When absolute strength in increased, the movements used by the athlete become more sub-maximal, allowing for a longer 2 effort of contractions.

Is there a way I can train crossfit where it becomes EASY?
    No.

What you CAN do to make CrossFit easier is to train for strength and then add conditioning work into your program 3-4 weeks before your competition. If you have not exhausted your novice LP gains yet I would start there following the Starting Strength Model. DO NOT do WoDs, MetCons or any other silly bullshit during the time that are running SS. Focus on recovery and gaining muscular body weight. AFTER you have exhausted your novice LP choose an intermediate program that includes the five basic lifts you've done for SS but that also includes the Olympic lifts that are performed in CrossFit.

I also recommend you watch the SS podcast episode where Rip interviews Coach Wolf on getting CrossFitters to take a break from WoDs and follow a dedicated strength program (Strength Program at a non-SS Gym | Starting Strength Podcast - YouTube), as well as the Starting Strength Interview with John Welbourn (Mark Rippetoe interviews John Welbourn (Pt 1) - YouTube).

other words, MY GOAL is to become the strongest,with the highest level of muscle endurance, and stamina I POSSIBLY CAN. I enjoy being the best I possibly can, amongst others in the room. Thank you! Looking forward to hearing back![/QUOTE]

Rome,

Since strength is the capacity to produce force and everything we do requires force production, becoming stronger makes everything easier. It's always going to be easier to clean and jerk 135lb for 30 reps for time, when you can deadlift 500lb vs. when you can deadlift 225lb, that is, if you're inclined to participate in such stupidity to begin with.

That said, if you train Crossfit, i.e. try to progressively get better and better at it, it will never be easy. This is like asking how you could train to make squatting easy. Squatting will never be easy, you will simply get stronger, and what was once a heavy weight for you will one day feel light.

If you're interested in competing at Crossfit, realize that you don't get competitive at Crossfit by actually doing Crossfit, i.e. random WODs. You need to get very strong, and once you're very strong, work on all the Crossfit-specific skills and adaptations. While most of us here consider Crossfit a great way to randomly flop around at the gym and hurt yourself, the top Crossfit athletes are legitimately strong and very fit people. If you want to be close to their level, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

If you are dedicated to developing strength, then read the book(s) and do the program, to the letter. Don't innovate. This problem has been solved and the real challenge is maintaining discipline and avoiding the urge to tweak the program.

You will find that endurance and stamina develop as well. But you have to do the program, exactly as written in the book.

Cyclists measure power in average watts produced over a number of specified time periods (anywhere from 6 seconds to 120 minutes) to determine objective measures of sprint capability or an estimated average speed in a 40k time trial.

If you can find a way to put down more power across the board, you become a faster cyclist.

I know nothing of crossfit, except that burpees over barbell dance looks like they're trying to attract a mate.

What the crap do you think high level crossfit athletes do for training? I'll give you a hint... it's not Fran.

Do the program. If you don't have strength first, you can forget about being capable of doing the rest.
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

starting strength coach development program
    I typically don't post. I just try to read, absorb and learn.
    But I'll give my unsolicited opinion.
    Do you have a goal in mind? Something that is feasible and measurable? Example- I want to weight over 200lbs, lift specific amounts.
    If yes, this is the program to do it. Period.
    It seems to me you're asking if SS can make you a competitve CFer. In my opinion there are too many variables because there is a gamesmanship to competitive CFing. If you want to get good at handstand walking and kipping... well bud we don't talk about that in here. Now if you want to discuss how to properly press your body weight overhead. And do it the correct way every time. The coaches and training on here will get you there.
    I think the person who is best at CF wins at competitive meets. Not necessarily the strongest. Do you want to train or exercise?
    I'm not an expert. I'm not a competitve CFer. I'm an average dude who does SS in my garage. But the data of my lifts are higher than ever. Even after CF for two years. Good luck

Spoon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast