starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back pain in beginners who try to deadlift

Default Back pain in beginners who try to deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So i am currently teaching a friend to deadlift. I get him into correct position, back flat and its looking ok. But when he lifts he get a dull feeling or pain in the back. even though his lumbar spine stays flat. I had the same issue before myself. Untill i learned how to get enough air into my belly to stiffen up the trunk. But this takes a lot of time and practice to learn, and i wondered if you know a better way of doing it? And whats your experience with beginners who get back issues even though it looks like they are doing it correctly.

We both grew up playing video games and didnt do any sports, so it may be a factor. But i was just wondering about tips and tricks for this kind of issues.

Air does not go into your belly, and my experience has been that people who deadlift correctly do not experience pain while deadlifting. So, I think that either he -- and by extension you -- are doing this incorrectly, or he has a pre-existing injury.

I would not rule out the possibility that these guys do not know the difference between pain and discomfort given his own description that they have not trained before. With these types of trainees, I find that they often confuse discomfort or exertion that is inherent in producing a volitional force against the weight with pain.

Quote Originally Posted by v1kkedude View Post
    So i am currently teaching a friend to deadlift. I get him into correct position, back flat and its looking ok. But when he lifts he get a dull feeling or pain in the back. even though his lumbar spine stays flat. I had the same issue before myself. Untill i learned how to get enough air into my belly to stiffen up the trunk. But this takes a lot of time and practice to learn, and i wondered if you know a better way of doing it? And whats your experience with beginners who get back issues even though it looks like they are doing it correctly.

We both grew up playing video games and didnt do any sports, so it may be a factor. But i was just wondering about tips and tricks for this kind of issues.
    Doesn't seem to me that you're qualified to evaluate anyone's form. Try posting a video of your friend deadlifting so the SS coaches can evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    I would not rule out the possibility that these guys do not know the difference between pain and discomfort given his own description that they have not trained before. With these types of trainees, I find that they often confuse discomfort or exertion that is inherent in producing a volitional force against the weight with pain.
    Mr. Palmer wins the Forum for this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    As a trainer, how do you determine this?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    By looking the individual directly into the eyes and asking them what they are hoping to accomplish by training.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Here are some ways that I assess for this issue...

Observation of correct form to eliminate technique areas that can cause pain. Titrating the weights up to determine their reaction at light, medium, and heavier weights. Assessing how they perceive pain in other movements, e.g. do they find all exertions to feel like a "dull" pain? Interviewing them about any injury history or medical issues. Assessing their level of motivation.

When I first started, I wasn't really able to differentiate soreness/discomfort from actual pain. It sounds stupid in hindsight but at the time I was legitimately convinced I was in pain. It wasn't until I had my first real injury that I realized the sensations I had been experiencing while lifting were completely normal and part of the process

starting strength coach development program
    Have him do barbell rollouts so he understands the true meaning of pain.

Seriously though, my back pain while deadlifting disappeared after 2 weeks once I started doing rollouts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast