starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask Rip #37: The standard embarrassing shit

Default Ask Rip #37: The standard embarrassing shit

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Damn shame about Toronto. Lots of folks here who would love to attend. Plus, I know a great nondairy latte place that you'd just love.

I just ordered "Engineer to Win" by Carroll Smith based on this podcast, I'm looking forward to reading it.

In regards to that comment about training at home:

I've found that the Starting Strength board can provide that "circle of influence" needed to help raise expectations. Before I found this board, I used to think that squatting 225 to depth was impressive strength, certainly beyond my reach. I'll be squatting 300 x 5 x 3 this week (getting close to the end of LP), and as a 6'2" male I now find it embarrassing that I'm under 3 plates.

Reading the articles, listening to the podcasts, and watching the videos has fundamentally changed my values. It doesn't beat having a couple guys to lift with (the association aspect), but brainwashing is a powerful thing.

It might be interesting to do a quarterly get-together throughout the country (BBQ is always a winner). Meet up at a local SSC gym (if nearby), local park, church/community center, etc; pay $10, eat food, meet new people. Take the online --> offline. Basically a less formal version/supplement of the Strength Meets.

It might be a dumb idea (or simply unfeasible), but we all know community is a powerful way to grow an idea (cf. CrossFit, network marketing, religions, etc.). In the meantime, I'll definitely be attending the next Bay Area Strength Meet and anything else that pops up around here.

Thanks for the podcast.

Now I want to know what happened when you went through Canadian customs.

Thanks for a fabulous weekend Rip! I've never lifted so much in my life. The coaches were outstanding and really pushed Doug and I to the limit. I had no idea how wrong we were lifting. All the people in attendance were awesome. I was surprised lifters all different levels of lifters were there, as well as several women. As such, someone needs to send you some more 5 pound plates for Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    Damn shame about Toronto. Lots of folks here who would love to attend. Plus, I know a great nondairy latte place that you'd just love.
    Yes, non-dairy latte is my fave.

Mr. Carroll's thesis sounds very similar to that of Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson. Will also be buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Neilsen View Post

I've found that the Starting Strength board can provide that "circle of influence" needed to help raise expectations. Before I found this board, I used to think that squatting 225 to depth was impressive strength, certainly beyond my reach. I'll be squatting 300 x 5 x 3 this week (getting close to the end of LP), and as a 6'2" male I now find it embarrassing that I'm under 3 plates.
    I second this. Before coming here about six months ago, I thought I was strong enough squatting about 300 and deadlifting 330. And now I feel like -- nay, KNOW that -- I am a weakling. Small and weak as I am, I am still rather often the biggest and strongest at the local community gym, so I now rather choose to go to the University gym where some competitive student powerlifters and weightlifters train. It is all a little embarrassing, though, as some of them are students from my classes, but it does help motivate me. They often look at me like they pity this old fool. But it keeps my numbers going up, so it is worth the shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Neilsen View Post
    In regards to that comment about training at home:

Reading the articles, listening to the podcasts, and watching the videos has fundamentally changed my values. It doesn't beat having a couple guys to lift with (the association aspect), but brainwashing is a powerful thing.
    Thirded. Here, an IRC network I frequent, and one guy at work who I've gotten back in the gym are keep me rolling when I want to give in. I've even gotten a few of the IRC folk to get off their asses and get marginally more fit.

Wouldn't be right of me to let them down by throwing in the towel.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe this is a question for Sully. . . .

You said that young kids "don't have the hormonal environment to recover from gradually increasing training loads." Is there a corresponding window at the END of the lifespan where this is true?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast