starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible mechanism for relief from sciatica?

Default Possible mechanism for relief from sciatica?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Occasionally, I suffer a bit of mild sciatica -- down my right butt but not extending down my leg. It will nag at me for a week, but is not debilitating. Still, the hot stabbing into my butt cheek is not pleasurable. For me, anyway.

I did suffer back pain my entire adult life -- until I started squatting and deadlifting about 7 years ago. Since then, except for 1 bout that lasted about 5 days, and, as mentioned, the occasional sciatica, I'm pain free.

In any event, the last two bouts of sciatica (separated by about 3 months) , I threw caution to the wind and pulled on the days I was scheduled to pull. Both times, the sciatica went away. Immediately.

It is hard to figure out what the mechanism could be whereby heavy (for me, everything is relative!) would remove pressure from nerves. I wouldn't ask based on a one-time experience, but this is twice now. . . .

Thoughts?

Mine does the same thing. I think one of the deep external rotators is inflamed and mashing on the nerve. Squats seems to disrupt the swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Mine does the same thing. I think one of the deep external rotators is inflamed and mashing on the nerve. Squats seems to disrupt the swelling.
    I'm going to favor a combination of loading the spine in a mild degree of lumbar extension to assist in displacing herniated nuclear material back towards the center of the disc and the combined flexion, abduction, and external rotation of the hips to provide a mechanical gliding of the sciatic nerve and originating nerve roots through the intervertebral foramen.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I'm going to favor a combination of loading the spine in a mild degree of lumbar extension to assist in displacing herniated nuclear material back towards the center of the disc and the combined flexion, abduction, and external rotation of the hips to provide a mechanical gliding of the sciatic nerve and originating nerve roots through the intervertebral foramen.
    Now you're just showing off.

I'm wondering about this as well with my Spondy at L5. Walking and standing make my right foot go numb. I have now had the steriod injections at right side L5/S1 and right lumbar S1 nerve block. I can't tell any relief from either. You know when I feel the best, the three days a week I squat, I can't tell any measurable improvement on the days I also deadlift.

On a side note, the more vertical my standing/walking position seems to influence as well. Standing at one of my kids games, or walking around the mall with my wife is extremely painful. However, a 4-5 mile hike through the woods with my dog and I seem to have no pain whatsoever (only done 3x now) , I plan on keeping a 3-6 mile hikes once a week as well and see if that helps.

And Will wonders why I'm looking forward to the second half of his talk on back pain...

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
    I'm wondering about this as well with my Spondy at L5. Walking and standing make my right foot go numb. I have now had the steriod injections at right side L5/S1 and right lumbar S1 nerve block. I can't tell any relief from either. You know when I feel the best, the three days a week I squat, I can't tell any measurable improvement on the days I also deadlift.

On a side note, the more vertical my standing/walking position seems to influence as well. Standing at one of my kids games, or walking around the mall with my wife is extremely painful. However, a 4-5 mile hike through the woods with my dog and I seem to have no pain whatsoever (only done 3x now) , I plan on keeping a 3-6 mile hikes once a week as well and see if that helps.
    Are you hiking up-hill? There are studies that show that incline treadmill walking (possibly similar to the hiking you do) is pain relieving to those with stenosis like symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post

And this would be most likely due to increased foraminal opening, with less pressure on the nerve roots.

Quote Originally Posted by bwad7 View Post
    Are you hiking up-hill? There are studies that show that incline treadmill walking (possibly similar to the hiking you do) is pain relieving to those with stenosis like symptoms.

It's up and down hill, with a brisk pace, slight lean forward usually with a walking stick I find along the way. The other thing that causes instant pain is kneeling at Mass. I do have some stenosis on right side as well.

I had a follow-up with my back doc last week. I told her what seems to be helping (lifting & the hiking) and what hurts (standing, basic walking) and how much I'm altern. use of ibup. & acet. She warns me of the over use of ibuprofin, and then tells me to continue to stay away from heaving resistance training....lol

Oh and I can't get another shot until March.

Default Stenosis

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Neilsen View Post
    And Will wonders why I'm looking forward to the second half of his talk on back pain...
    An MRI revealed severe stenosis at L4-L5 and my chiropractor is very concerned about the deadlifts I have been doing (so far, I am refraining from any squats primarily because of insufficient knee flexion due to bilateral implants). It is his belief that the deadlifts are compressing my spine and increasing my radiculopathy. Comments?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast