starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you avoid wrist wraps for deadlifts?

Default How do you avoid wrist wraps for deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Rip,

I know you think forearm curls are silly, and I know you always recommend no wraps in warm up sets for deadlifts.

But how do guys that deadlift 600 pounds without wraps get their grip so strong? I don't want to use wrist wraps for my heavy deadlift sets, but what if I am having trouble holding the bar and have to use them, will that keep my grip strength from developing? I wouldn't want my grip strength to be the limiting factor of my deadlift either.

Is it safe to say that men that have thinner wrists will always have weaker grip than men with thick wrists?

Is using something to make the bar thicker such as Fat Gripz silly?

Thanks

Do you mean "straps"?

OP probably means straps, but one of my lifting partners, strongest guy in our group of people at the moment, actually uses wrist wraps on max sets on the deadlift. He says it "helps him feel tight everywhere". Maybe there's a slight benefit to one's grip, too, seeing as wrist wraps compress the nerves in your wrist and forearm that flex your fingers, causing them to flex automatically. Probably only a mental or kinaesthetic thing and hardly beneficial, but I thought it'd be a neat thing to mention.

Let's assume that Matt meant straps.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_217 View Post
    I know you think forearm curls are silly, and I know you always recommend no wraps in warm up sets for deadlifts.
    Matt is suggesting that curls with 185(?) can make the grip strong enough to deadlift 600.

But how do guys that deadlift 600 pounds without wraps get their grip so strong?
    By deadlifting 590 without straps. This is not complicated, it's been discussed hundreds of times, and Matt once again proves that he doesn't read well.

Jesus. it seems like 90% of the questions on here come in the form of:

"This is simple. How can I make this complicated?"

simple = eat more. progress your squat. progress your deadlift. gain weight. use either hook grip or alternating. there is no way you really need straps if you are actually asking this question. you just need to deadlift more.

complicated = fat GRIPZzz + wrist curlzzz + no-strap back-off supersets

This week at the gym I witnessed a dude bench 405 for a set of with straps on. No Shit. Dude used the bench across from me and started his warm-up with 275 and he moved up in weight using sets of 5 strapped to the bar. 275/315/365 x5 and then 405x2 strapped-to-the-bar. No spotter either, just his straps. I was amazed. Obviously there is no point in this but what I think is irrelevant. Especially since I'm working hard with 5x5 volume benches with 255 right across from him.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    This week at the gym I witnessed a dude bench 405 for a set of with straps on. No Shit. Dude used the bench across from me and started his warm-up with 275 and he moved up in weight using sets of 5 strapped to the bar. 275/315/365 x5 and then 405x2 strapped-to-the-bar. No spotter either, just his straps. I was amazed. Obviously there is no point in this but what I think is irrelevant. Especially since I'm working hard with 5x5 volume benches with 255 right across from him.
    Whatever you can do to increase the lethality of the lifts, you should do. You should use straps in all overhead lifts, especially the press. That way if you fail, you won't be able to get out from under the falling bar, which is a good thing, because why are you such a weak fuck that you fail your lifts?! And never use a spotter or safety pins while benching. If you know that you either completely the lift or you die, you will get stronger, faster. If it doesn't kill you, you'll get stronger...literally. Similarly, if you do any cardio, you should always carry a knife... in your right hand. Because everyone runs faster with a knife.

I think one of the subtexts of the original question, though, was "If grip is the limiting factor, is one better off using wrist straps to reap the benefits of a heavier deadlift, or is backing off and skipping the straps, and working on grip via lighter more manageable deadlifts more beneficial?"

OP, I am a complete novice, so my opinion is worth even less than the paper it's printed on (and it's not even printed, so...), buuuut, after asking myself a similar question, I decided that while I'm not going to compete and thus don't need to train my grip like a competing powerlifter would, that grip strength IS important to me in my day to day life and strength goals. I settled on a compromise where I work on grip strength via fat bar grips until I can't anymore, then switching to regular double overhand grip until I can't anymore, then chalking, until I can't anymore, then hook gripping... (you got it, until I can't anymore). If I'm still going, but want to give my thumbs a break, then I'll bust out the wraps.

On top of all that, I try to hold at least the last rep (and usually all reps, especially while warming up) at the top for an extra 5-10 seconds. I've only recently started getting to a weight where my grip is starting to be a problem, though, so I have no evidence that any of this will even help, but what the hell, it looks good on paper so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Similarly, if you do any cardio, you should always carry a knife... in your right hand. Because everyone runs faster with a knife.
    Funny you should mention that; I was about to ask Rip for a paid endorsement for my new line of cardio scissors. I realize that knives are all the rage these days, but I think there's room for a reboot of the traditional running-with-scissors plan.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Whatever you can do to increase the lethality of the lifts, you should do.
    Another instantly classic one liner. You, sir, have a gift.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast