starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Sets & Reps

Default Squat Sets & Reps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    (5'8" 142lb Female)

I was wondering what the difference is in doing my working sets of squats in 5 sets of 3 reps at the same weight? I've also recently tried playing around with my sets/reps and increasing overall poundage lifted- ex:

Currently following the 3 sets of 5 I'm at 275lbs which after a total of 15 reps equals 4,125lbs.

Now, if I do
    275 1 x 3 =825lbs
    280 1 x 3 =840lbs
    285 3 x 3 =2,565lbs
    290 1 x 2 =580lbs
    (17 reps)
    That is 4,810lbs overall & 685lbs more

I only ask because the lower reps & higher weight seem easier for me to handle- mostly because I'm lacking upper body strength and my upper back seems to fatigue before my legs when doing the higher reps at 3 sets of 5. I still plan on doing 3 sets of 5, but just want a change up since I'm squatting 4 days a week.
    *** But am I correct in assuming that lifting overall more pounds when doing more weight and close to same reps but more sets equals an overall stronger squat? Thanks

If total tonnage is your criterion, why not just do 35 singles with 135? Have you read PPST3?

That makes sense. Also new to this forum. We just got the book and have only skimmed thus far, but I plan on reading it fully asap. Thank you so much for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyjane32 View Post
    That makes sense. Also new to this forum. We just got the book and have only skimmed thus far, but I plan on reading it fully asap. Thank you so much for your response.
    I try to keep things as simple as possible for as long as possible. One thing that has helped me personally, is the mantra, "stress, recovery, adaptation." This will get more complicated as you progress, but don't miss the forest for the trees...