Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clothing advice

Default clothing advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    M, 28 yo, 6', 227 lbs

Rip,

I'm planning on purchasing a fitted suit for weddings and some other fancy things I'm going to this year. I am nearing the end of my SS LP, with plans to transition into the Texas Method. I was wondering: how many years (or months) do you think I might get out of the suit before it doesn't fit anymore? I figured maybe you've seen enough folks through the Texas Method to possibly make an educated guess.

Hope this question isn't too silly to take a crack at it.

Thanks for your time

You'll need an "Olympic" sized suit, with a 10" drop (the difference in inches between the coat size and the pants waist size). Buy a size larger than you wear, have it altered down to fit, and it can be let out to the original size when you get there. Take the waist slack up with your belt. Buy a nice dress belt.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Keep in mind too--a given fitted suit should allow you at least 10 lbs either way--so you will still get some use from it even if you put on a little weight.

Since you'll be a strong guy in a new suit, I'd also have them sew in an extra pocket to hold all those contraceptives you'll be needing.

I wish I'd taken things like this in consideration when starting the program. Being a wedding photographer, I need suits that can move and stretch a little (I squat, lunge and lie down all the time to get photos). I went from 222 pounds to 235 at the end of my LP and you can actually see how my photos have changed a little. I'm less inclined to getting into tight angles and low shots for fear of ripping my suit, but that'll change this year with bigger suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You'll need an "Olympic" sized suit, with a 10" drop (the difference in inches between the coat size and the pants waist size). Buy a size larger than you wear, have it altered down to fit, and it can be let out to the original size when you get there. Take the waist slack up with your belt. Buy a nice dress belt.
    Also would suggest looking for athletic cut suit that you can get in "suit separates" - meaning you get matching pants/ coat but can pick sizes for each independently.

Dont have things tailored tight because you know you will be losing weight. You won't be. Have it fit properly so that it will look fine whether your gain or lose 10lbs from your current spot.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    Also would suggest looking for athletic cut suit that you can get in "suit separates" - meaning you get matching pants/ coat but can pick sizes for each independently.
    Harry suits
    Combat gentleman
    Bespoke

Many ways to solve this issue. Make friends w a good tailor

Thank you Rip, very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone else for the advice and positive feedback for this first time suit buyer. @Chris Lippke Haha yeah I'll have them put a ticket pocket on or something.

starting strength coach development program
    Be diligent here, because most dress belts will not support your gun adequately. Care must be taken to assure the purchase of an adequately robust yet timelessly stylish belt that prevents unsightly printing while providing adequate retention for fancy dance moves at wedding receptions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast