starting strength gym

Thread: Assistance Exercises

Default Assistance Exercises

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    G'day Mark

I normally CrossFit (WOD's) but I'm currently in a 4-week strength phase (just finished the 2nd week) to improve my, funnily enough, strength and better my CrossFit WOD performance.

I'm using something along the lines of the Texas Method from Practical Programming as follows:

Monday (High Volume/High Intensity)
    Back Squat 5 x 5 (90-95% 5RM)
    Bench Press 5 x 5 (90-95% 5RM)
    Power Clean 5 x 3 (90-95% 5RM)

Wednesday (Low Volume/Low Intensity)
    Front Squat 3 x 3 (80% 5RM)
    Press 5 x 5 (80% 5RM)
    Weighted Back Ext 3 x 10 (10-15kg)
    Weighted Chins 3 x 5 (15-20kg)

Friday (Low Volume/High Intensity)
    This is a test day where I try for a new PR at either 1RM, 3RM or 5RM.
    Back Squat
    Bench Press
    Deadlift

My stats are 31 yrs, 6 foot (183cms) and 187lbs (85kgs)
    Current PB's as of this morning
    Back Squat - 145kgs (319lbs)
    Bench - 100kgs (220lbs)
    Deadlift - 150kgs (330lbs)

My short term goals (for this phase) are 150kg Squat, 170kg Deadlift and 105kg Bench.

Ultimately I'm after a 170kg Squat, 130kg Bench and 215kg Deadlift.

After that long winded intro, my question is this.

What value are assistance exercises such as Pull Throughs, GHR's, Reverse Hypers, Weighted Dips etc, in improving my strength on the big 3 and overall? Should they be included somewhere, maybe in another phase or should I just keep it simple and squat, bench and deadlift more?

I think that under your specific circumstances the best assistance exercise for you is drinking milk. Bodyweight will help you toward your goals better than anything else right now, and the core program looks very good to me. The assistance exercises you mention are good, but with your stats weight gain will help more than anything, and adding workload if the intensity of the base program is good enough might keep the weight gain from occurring.

Ok. I haven't been actively trying to increase bodyweight but was thinking of trying to get up to 90kgs (200lbs). I have been up there before but it took eating a truckload and drinking heaps of milk and protein shakes. Then I stopped eating and drinking so much and dropped down to my present weight which seems to fluctuate between 85 and 87kgs. I'm also a 3rd generation Aussie and we tend to be naturally wiry and lean. Built for speed, not comfort!! Although being a LEO, it is always handy to be a little bigger just for sheer presence in situations!

What weight do you think I should be aiming for? Or should I not worry about that and just eat/drink/lift/shit/sleep, rinse and repeat.

Thanks a lot for your advice and great work. I have your first two books which have taught, and continue to teach me a huge amount. Will be picking up the new book soon.

Cheers

Just get bigger, and don't worry about how much.

And your theory about Australia making people small is very interesting. Texas doesn't seem to have that effect.

Will crank up the milk intake and whack on some kilos

Australia doesn't make you small, it's just us Aussies that have been born and bred from a long line of Aussies tend to be built for the conditions somewhat! It's called being built like a roo dog!!

Cheers

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    I'm also a 3rd generation Aussie and we tend to be naturally wiry and lean. Built for speed,

Cheers
    im at least a 5th generation Aussie and we have reversed the trend, my dad is lighter than you but i have 35kgs on you. See what a few generations on does , Im the new imporved Aussie, im built for both speed and comfort
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And your theory about Australia making people small is very interesting. Texas doesn't seem to have that effect.
    we should be bigger than you Texans as there is so much more space to fit our large bodies.