starting strength gym

Thread: Standing presses

Default Standing presses

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

Unfortunately I work out in my basement with a low ceiling. Its about 2" or 3? too low to do a standing press to full extension. I have been compensating by standing with my knees bent and a little wider stance so that I can extend my arms completely.

This results in quite a quad workout (especially after doing squats), but I feel that its not letting me get the most out of what the workout should. I am not getting stronger as quickly with the presses as with other exercises.

Is it a big deal or just a mental problem I am having? Do you feel that the slight bending of the knees and/or the wider stance changes anything with the exercise? Would you suggest changing to seated barbell/dumbell press?

Thanks for your time

Jon

You will obviously not get strong as fast in an exercise that involves smaller muscles. But no, you have to use correct form on the exercise, no matter what the reasons might be for doing it wrong. Sorry about your basement, but if you want to continue to train there effectively it will be necessary to cut 2 plate-shaped holes in the ceiling above the platform. Make sure that you space them apart at the same width that the plates load on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You will obviously not get strong as fast in an exercise that involves smaller muscles. But no, you have to use correct form on the exercise, no matter what the reasons might be for doing it wrong. Sorry about your basement, but if you want to continue to train there effectively it will be necessary to cut 2 plate-shaped holes in the ceiling above the platform. Make sure that you space them apart at the same width that the plates load on the bar.
    Don't forget to cut them a little wider to accommodate a second--or even a third--45 on each side. Since this is strength training, you'll want to be sure that the ceiling can accommodate progressive resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by EIC View Post
    Don't forget to cut them a little wider to accommodate a second--or even a third--45 on each side. Since this is strength training, you'll want to be sure that the ceiling can accommodate progressive resistance.
    But that might affect the aesthetic or structural integrity of the ceiling. I'd cut the hole big enough for 1-45 lb plate and then use 35s for progression.

I'd dig a man-sized hole down into the foundation. That way no one will trip over the plates brimming up through the first floor. Just don't dig so deep that you can't lower the bar down to your shoulders.

Talking

starting strength coach development program
    Alternately, the plates can be carried from the basement to another suitable area as a pre-workout warm-up. Be sure and use good form while carrying things up stairs.