starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack to Platform Attachment

Default Rack to Platform Attachment

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there a tried and true way to secure the bolt together rack to a platform without bolting the rack into the floor? Anchoring the rack into the concrete isn't an option at my current place.

Why does it need to be secured to the rack?

I have the Rogue R-3 and have bolts going through the rack and platform, to tee nuts installed from the underside of the platform.

I used lag screws (aka lag bolts) to fasten my Rogue R-3 to three layers of 3/4" OSB. Still very solid after 2.5 years of regular use.

I rent a house so drilling to the concrete also wasn't an option for me. I feel like I overthought this and made it more difficult than it had to be given the replies above, but this is what I did.

I have a platform made out of two layers of OSB with a nicer piece of wood on top. Not exactly sure the thickness of the OSB, I think the OSB was 1/2", and the nicer piece is 3/4". I measured where the rack would fall on the platform, marked out the holes and made pilot holes large enough the body/shank of the bolt would fit through. Then I flipped the platform upside down, and using the pre-drilled pilot holes I used a Forstner bit to make holes deep enough to accomodate the height of the head and wide enough for the diameter of a carriage bolt, so the heads of the carriage wouldn't stick out when the platform was flat. Then I put the carriage bolts through the holes, flipped the platform top-side up with the bolts sticking up and placed the rack on top

You can see the finished product in the first picture and the "feet" of the rack with the bolts sticking up in the second picture.

I was under the impression the rack should be secured to the platform if it can't be bolted to the floor. Is this incorrect?

If the platform is heavy enough, it won't move much under normal use.

I've got heating tubes in my concrete that preclude any drilling. I have a Body Solid SBR1000. It's sitting on 3/4 inch plywood. I've got weight horns front and back with plenty of weight on 'em which makes it adequately stationary. I've not detected it budging at all. There's some trial and error required configuring the plates so they don't interfere with lifting, spotting pins and weight hooks/j-cups (45's and 25's in the back, lots of 10's in front) but I love the end result.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I need to clarify my question. If the bolt together rack comes with the floor built into it and I'll be building a standard 8x8 platform to the SS specs so the rack and platform will be flush do I need to be concerned about the rack moving away from the platform when I lift?

starting strength coach development program
    Not if it's heavy enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast