starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: “Special Snowflake”, a phase we all go through?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    When I started, I was convinced SS was just another program that probably wouldn’t work because nothing else had in the past. Why think otherwise?
    I discovered SS from an Instapundit link. I bought the book and told myself what the hell, I'll try it for a few months. That will be 3 years ago in May. Still at it, strongest I've ever been and I feel great. None of this is a surprise to any of you in the SS community. I'm still chasing the 300/400/500 but I'm a hell of a lot closer than I was.

I think you make a good point that "snowflake" can be a permanent condition, and I would add that it’s a chosen state, because it requires denial of the mounting proof that you are experiencing personally and witnessing all around you. There is always another reason for that.
    My wife is burdened by a belief system instilled by an early diagnosis as “asthmatic”, which kept her from any sports engagement; plus membership in a family not inclined towards athleticism. She’s trusting me to be right when I tell her to work through each new twinge of pain or other issue that surfaces, and that puts me at odds with her doctor, who told her only to walk on soft surfaces and never on inclines when she reported knee pain at age 52. This will not be a short “phase” for her but I’ll get her through it. Looking forward to the day she calls me a pussy for complaining I have a sore elbow or am too tired to lift!
    I also have asthma, and it limited me quite a bit when I was a kid in the 80's. Medicine wasn't what it is today. It wasn't a "snowflake" thing, it was a dangerous condition.

By the 90's medicine got a lot better and pretty good at prevention and I started getting myself in better shape. The real revelation came as I got fit. Once I had gotten into marathon shape, I found I didn't need preventative medicine anymore. Today the only time I need any medication for it is when I'm sick with a chest cold and it doesn't limit me in any way. So if I could have gotten more fit as a kid it would have helped, but getting to that point would have been a pretty risky proposition.

People want to see things in black or white... the basic Tenets of SS hold true for anyone, if they are not paralyzed or dead.

I had a knee that was fucking with me, with 10 pound jumps on squats... I now just take a 2.5 lb jump.. it doesn't mean LP doesn't work just means you need to apply it to your situation. "You must squat or you are a pussy" applies universally.

Also as an overweight type 2 diabetic I wanted to improve my composition before I even thought about putting on weight. Slight deficit, real food, started cooking at home mostly, lifts progressing, down about 10 lbs over the last couple months. all is well with the glucometer readings.

Looking forward to the day she calls me a pussy for complaining I have a sore elbow or am too tired to lift!
    You and me both, mang. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoyda View Post
    I discovered SS from an Instapundit link. I bought the book and told myself what the hell, I'll try it for a few months. That will be 3 years ago in May. Still at it, strongest I've ever been and I feel great. None of this is a surprise to any of you in the SS community. I'm still chasing the 300/400/500 but I'm a hell of a lot closer than I was.
    I found Rip through Instapundit as well (going on 5 years now). I'm chasing the same 200/300/400/500. Barring injury, I will hit 200 in a couple of weeks, 300 in a month or two, 400 by the end of the year--hopefully--squats have always been a challenge for me, and 500 by summer. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoy the chase.

People can be a special snowflakes once they hit intermediate. Until then, we are all just regular snowflakes.

her doctor, who told her only to walk on soft surfaces and never on inclines when she reported knee pain at age 52.
    In my mid 30's, I was doing off-road triathlons for "fun". was having some knee pain. Went to the doctor. He advised me to stop lifting weights. Said the squatting that I was doing was bad for my knees. ( he was probably right but only because I didn't know how to squat). I looked at this 40ish Dr who looked like he was in wretched physical condition and I fired him. The next day I started asking around until I found a Dr. who worked out on a regular basis. If someone gives you advice that basically equates to "be a soft boned, fragile little snowflake", cut that person out of your life. They are not acting in your best interest.m

Quote Originally Posted by Scaldrew View Post
    You and me both, mang. Good luck.
    I strained my proximal hamstring insertion on a max squat about two weeks ago. The left side of my ass was black and blue like I had back-talked my mom when I was a child. My wife saw me limping around a bit, and when it was my normal time to go to the gym, I think she saw I was a bit reluctant to go. She looks at me and says, "What are you going to do? Not train?"

Needless to say, I went and squatted that day with those words ringing in my ears, and I've never been happier having that ring on my finger.

The worst kind of special snowflakes

Athletics removes weight scale from Carleton gym ? The Charlatan, Carleton's independent newspaper

Tl;dr
    Weight scale removed from college gym because knowing one's body weight can be triggering

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JT_ View Post
    People can be a special snowflakes once they hit intermediate. Until then, we are all just regular snowflakes.
    This is definitely an overstatement. Maybe elite lifters are likely to be snowflakes, but intermediates are mostly responding to a change in volume or intensity. Some guy who decides to do paused squats is most likely just benefiting from the volume increase. Most of us at the intermediate level will benefit more from the correct volume dosage than the right accessory movement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast