starting strength gym

Thread: On OH pressing

Default On OH pressing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Should you try to pull the bar apart? To pull the shoulder down, or squeeze them? Should you try to flare the lats? Im pretty good at them (press 176 at 198) but am not so sure on the technique.

This is, as you might guess, dealt with at length in SS:BBT. At the top in the lockout position you shrug up and squeeze the traps and triceps to support the bar. The arms attach to the scapulas, and they are hung from the traps, so that the traps essentially support the load at lockout. Triceps straighten the elbows, and traps shrug up to support the load.

Funilly I just saw some vids from crossfit in which you thought to shrug up. I'll start to do it. Guess I really have to buy SS.
    One more quick question, on OH squats should you flare the lats and pull the shoulders down? Cause that is how I do it, I pull the bar apart, flare the lats, keep the wrists straight and pinch the shoulders down but not together. Is it right?
    Cheers.

No, it's not, as I just explained.

Mark, the first post was about OH pressing, the second about OH squatting.

starting strength coach development program
    Gotcha. Look, you're supporting the bar overhead, right? Why would you support it differently when locking it out at the top of the press than when you were planning on carrying it down into a deep squat and driving it back up? The scapulas are still supporting it, and you still have to shrug the traps up to support the scapulas no matter what you're doing with the bar overhead.