starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switching deadlift with squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I can't believe there is somebody debating that rows are just as effective as power cleans. They're not.

Fine, I'll buy your book and try to learn how to do clean work. It better be good though, I'm going to have to work a few extra hours so I can afford it.

I haven't had to refund any money yet.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveman1 View Post
    Fine, I'll buy your book and try to learn how to do clean work. It better be good though, I'm going to have to work a few extra hours so I can afford it.
    If there's a university near you, chances are that they have a powerlifting team, or even better, an olympic weightlifting team. In my case a subset of the powerlifting team turned more to olympic lifts, and some of the guys were very happy to help me with my form. Look around and hopefully you'll find some good people to learn from as well.

Another book that we have laying around our gym (some nice person bought a copy and just left it there) is "An Introduction to Olympic-Style Weightlifting" by Cissik. Taken with a grain of salt (especially their example workout plans at the end), and combined with Starting Strength and some brainpower, it can help you better your form. Good luck! Oly lifts are addictive and fun. You walk up to the bar and from when you set your back, it'll be over in a second. You'll either rack it/catch it or you won't, but when you do, it's a great feeling.

There are many many resources available to learn how to do cleans. There are free resources like the video section at http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Oly. It goes without saying that you can buy Ripp's book. You can also try to find a USA Weightlifting gym (or CrossFit affiliate) in your area. Even if you have zero interest in CrossFit, most CrossFitters are very familiar with the Olympic lifts and can at least show you the basics.

Bill Starr (use Google if you've never heard of him), recommends the power clean over almost every other exercise...

Good luck with the program.

Alex

starting strength coach development program
    Keep in mind that Starting Strength sometimes takes a different position in regards to exercise technique than would the olympic lifting book mentioned by Polynomial

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12