starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam Lauritzen SSC: BJJ and Strength

Default Adam Lauritzen SSC: BJJ and Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Great read.

One of the other things I got from strength training that helps a ton with BJJ was quicker injury rehab, and the knowledge that I can train around an injury.

Fortitude, for want of a better word.

Thanks! Good point, now that I think of it I know have observed examples of this in my own training.

Be sure to check the comments on my FB page under this article. The finest thinking on the internet is found there.

Lord. Why'd you make me do that?

The thing I'm asked about the most at BJJ is how to get stronger. The first thing that's commented upon when rolling with a new person is my strength.

I'm not a prick (I am) so when I'm with someone smaller, I use less strength and try to be fast and as technical as possible. When I'm with someone strong/heavy, they're usually (not always) surprised at how easily they're dealt with because they're usually the stronger person, and I'm THAT much stronger.

Fundamentally, that which we all know is very true. Being strong is tremendously fucking useful.

Along with baseball and golf, and maybe Frisbee, MMA/BJJ is the hardest-headed bunch of people regarding this strength stuff.

Those fucking frisbee pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Along with baseball and golf, and maybe Frisbee, MMA/BJJ is the hardest-headed bunch of people regarding this strength stuff.
    That's because BJJ is the only sport (sport?) that frowns upon using strength or being strong.
    Outside of the BJJ world is someone says to you "Man, you are strong" it is s a compliment.
    Inside the BJJ world when someone says to you "Man, you are strong" they are telling you- you suck.
    Doesn't make sense... but I understand it.
    Maybe it's because BJJ is the only sport (sport?) that you'll regularly find skinny 145lb dudes regularly choking the shit out of jacked 200lb'rs
    I guess they don't realize that the 145lb'r would be even better if he was stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where do cyclists fit? I'm helping one right now. I'm having a hell of a time convincing him a 4 hour torture fest ride in the mountains on Sunday's isn't helping his Monday squat session. He's damn determined, however.

starting strength coach development program
    A nicely balanced and well argued case for strength training and BJJ that I will reference for a long time to come when it comes the endless discussions of technique vs strength.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast