starting strength gym

Thread: Resistance training improves bone density, study shows

Default Resistance training improves bone density, study shows

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Not that you didn't know this already, but I was part of this study (treatment group, I had osteoporosis):

http://www.thebonejournal.com/articl...301-5/abstract

Amazing.

"Serum sclerostin decreases following 12 months of resistance- or jump-training in men with low bone mass" in the Bone Journal is competing for attention with It’s official: Running is the best exercise you can do in the NY Daily News. There's a lot of work left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    "Serum sclerostin decreases following 12 months of resistance- or jump-training in men with low bone mass" in the Bone Journal is competing for attention with It’s official: Running is the best exercise you can do in the NY Daily News. There's a lot of work left to do.
    After breathlessly reporting running's exclusive life-extending powers for many, many excited paragraphs, the NY Post article remembers to finish with this: "The researchers stress that running is not the cause for a longer life, but supportive of it and that other factors included in living healthfully increase the chances of living as many years as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Gotta love clickbait.

The first question that comes to my mind about this study is whether they controlled for intensity in the other activities. You can bike, walk, swim, and even "resistance train" (think pink dumbbells) without elevating your heart rate much. With running, there's a minimum level of intensity required since you have to have both feet off the ground at the same time.

I'm not a scientist and don't have access to the full text, but it seems to me that if you set out to study running vs. everything else, you can find a way to frame your research such that running comes out ahead.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Gotta love clickbait.

The first question that comes to my mind about this study is whether they controlled for intensity in the other activities. You can bike, walk, swim, and even "resistance train" (think pink dumbbells) without elevating your heart rate much. With running, there's a minimum level of intensity required since you have to have both feet off the ground at the same time.

I'm not a scientist and don't have access to the full text, but it seems to me that if you set out to study running vs. everything else, you can find a way to frame your research such that running comes out ahead.
    The part that I loved was the "The biggest longevity benefit was seen in people who ran and did other physical activity. Those fitness nuts saw risk of death drop by an impressive 43 percent." The hell is "other physical activity"? Did they.... say... lift weights?!