starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training a client with an Aortic Aneurysm

Default Training a client with an Aortic Aneurysm

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a potential client (another clients wife) with an Aortic Aneurysm and she is currently looking for an exercise program that will help her get in shape, lose fat and most importantly, not kill her. She has instructions from her doctor to exercise but not to lift over 50lbs. I already started helping with her diet but I really don't want to put her under a bar if there is any risk it will kill her. Any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

There is risk it will kill her. She will eventually die from this condition, and you don't want it to happen in your gym. Sorry, not everybody gets to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is risk it will kill her. She will eventually die from this condition, and you don't want it to happen in your gym. Sorry, not everybody gets to train.
    This. As far as I'm concerned, aortic aneurysm is an absolute contraindication to barbell training.

Yep. Unfortunately last year I had to let one of my best long term personal training clients go. Mid-fifties 300+ squat, 400+ deads. Got diagnosed with an Aortic Aneurysm. Heavy barbell training is a no-no from everything I have read and understand about the condition. The risk is actually quite significant and, as Rip said, you have an obligation to your business and your family (and to her) to not allow this to happen on your watch. If you KNOW about the condition and she dies under your supervision you are going to be held liable and could lose a helluva lot more than just your reputation.

Holy crap. That's an absolute time bomb. Poor woman.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I would also agree with the above from a legal standpoint. No matter how well drafted, a waiver cannot protect you from reckless conduct--it can only protect you against negligence claims. I think there's a very good argument to be made that strength training someone, against a doctor's advice, with a known aortic aneurysm is reckless conduct.

Coach, would your advice be different if it was someone who had a brain aneuryism which burst, and has been treated through surgery?
    Because of my mother's brain aneurysm/ SAH which almost killed her, but was surgically repaired, I would think (forgive me, I am so unqualified to even go here but here goes....) that because of the surgery, and all the CT scans, etc which indicates a lack of evidence of another aneurysm, that there would be a level of comfort agreeing to training someone who once had a brain aneursym.

Curious what you and the MD's think.

And maybe when I get my butt to a seminar I will regale you of how my mother's aneurysm burst at my wedding reception. Her head literally dropped into her salad. And we thought she fainted because I finally got married. Spent my wedding night at her bedside(good times!) saying our goodbyes to her (the nerologist suggested we do that). She made it through after surgery, and after extensive rehab and some ongoing neuro deficits, I would feel comfortable getting her under the bar if she were so inclined.

Good topic about where to draw the line on a potential client's medical history.

I thought they rushed you to the operating room the minute an Aortic Aneurysm gets diagnosed.
    My older brother died from Aortic dissection at age 52. The condition was never diagnosed in his case.

Sorry to hear about these clients.

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    This. As far as I'm concerned, aortic aneurysm is an absolute contraindication to barbell training.
    Jon, would you recommend an echocardiogram screening for every adult before undergoing barbell training?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Coach, would your advice be different if it was someone who had a brain aneuryism which burst, and has been treated through surgery?
    Because of my mother's brain aneurysm/ SAH which almost killed her, but was surgically repaired, I would think (forgive me, I am so unqualified to even go here but here goes....) that because of the surgery, and all the CT scans, etc which indicates a lack of evidence of another aneurysm, that there would be a level of comfort agreeing to training someone who once had a brain aneursym.
    If there is no evidence of another aneurysm, and that was put in writing, I think you're clear to train them.

Quote Originally Posted by docoftheworld View Post
    Jon, would you recommend an echocardiogram screening for every adult before undergoing barbell training?
    That sounds like an expensive way to start a training program. And why would this be necessary? Did you have an echo before you started training? How many people do you know who have died as a result of no echocardiogram before they started lifting weights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast