starting strength gym

Thread: Hip/Pelvic soreness for beginning squatter

Default Hip/Pelvic soreness for beginning squatter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip... I just got Starting Strength recently and it is easily the most useful, informative, and productive text I have found on strength training so thanks for that. I had never done squats before and after 4 or 5 workouts I have a persistent soreness at the top of the hips in a small area, seemingly where they connect to the pelvis. I have been doing the stretches you prescribe on off days and plan on continuing the workouts since it isn't really a pain, but I was curious what the cause of this is and if there is anything I can/should do to mitigate it. Thanks for your help.

You'll have to be more specific about the location of the soreness. The body is a complicated place, after all. Take me a picture.

Sorry no access to a camera right now but I did some research and it seems like its in the area of the iliopsoas muscles. Still pretty sore and I can feel it most when I go into a full squat position (without weights), but it doesn't seem to limit my workout much. Thanks again.

As a general rule, if it does not limit your workout, and you want to train, train through it and see what happens. It will either heal or get worse, then you'll know.

I've had similar issues. last year on the right side, and currently on the left. If you just stop it will not fully heal, no matter how long you wait. So be smarter than me and don't lose training time. I got better when I dropped the weight alot and did high reps (15-20) for a 2-3 weeks, or whatever it takes.
    As for my left side having the same issue right now, I just work through it as its not that bad and I've been enjoying a good PR streak I don't wanna break.

It's a question of judgement, if its very bad, low weight high reps and stretch.

GL