starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form

Default Squat form

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark-

I purchased "Starting Strength" and "Practical Programming" back in January of 2007 after having done Crossfit workouts for several months and being frustrated with my lack of strength and inability to complete some of the workouts as prescribed. I started your SS novice template about one year ago and stayed with it for several months.

I had been lifting weights and "working out" for a long time prior to this point. After reading your books and modifying my routine, I realized that lifting heavy weight brings me much more satisfaction than 20+ minutes of metabolic conditioning. I now consider what I do in the gym to be "training" and not "working out" due to my newfound focus and drive. In the last year, I gained 25lbs (175->200) and have set PRs in the power lifts of 470/255/531 (S/B/D). Just wanted to let you know that your books helped me find direction and purpose in the gym and I appreciate it.

Now my question (enough ass-kissing):

*I think* that my form was pretty spot-on in this video (please point out anything I could improve upon): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPIyvsp31CE

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPIyvsp31CE , I lose the bar forward a bit as I am coming up and raise my heel (red lights in a meet, but I'm counting it as a gym PR). I know what happened, but am not sure what I did wrong and how I can make sure it doesn't happen going forward. I don't have a training partner and am in the unfortunate situation of being the best squatter at my gym, so I rely heavily on internet videos and articles.

Thanks for the help.

-Chase

Try reposting this with the correct good example video, because they are both the same here. What you did was the standard leg-press with the bar on your back, and I suspect you didn't get this strong without knowing this. Stay on your heels and drive your ass up hard after the bounce.

Unfortunately, that was the "good" video. You suspect incorrectly. My (poor) knowledge of squat technique is cobbled together from reading, watching videos, and time spent under the bar. I've posted the same video other places and the only critique I received was that I didn't need to go quite so low. I don't mention this to insinuate that I think you're wrong, but to illustrate my lack of instructional aides and knowledgeable feedback. Recently, I've been focusing on keeping my knees out and aligned with my toes.

I suppose I'll go back and read the squat chapter in SS again. Any specific points about what I'm doing wrong (i.e. more specific than everything/"that's a leg-press") would be appreciated.

Thanks

You are not driving your hips up. Read the parts that address this problem specifically.

I maybe wrong here, but after checking the video, it looks like this is a high bar squat, not the low bar squat described in SS or SS:BBT. If so, that would explain the forward knee position and the upright torso. I'm sure that even with a high bar position one could develop more hip drive than seen here, but nothing like what can be generated with a low bar squat.

Thank you. I'll work on that.

starting strength coach development program
    Oooh, good call JMT. I should have caught that, and it will have that effect on form.