starting strength gym

Thread: Rock climbing and Strength Training

Default Rock climbing and Strength Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started off on SS and then moved on to a 5x5 to my current upper/lower. I am 5'7", weigh about 170lbs but would like to lose about 10lbs. I squat 315x2, dead 425x3, OH press 165, and can do about 25 pullups in a row.

My focus is no longer on powerlifting, I would like to lose weight and become a better climber. I have access to an indoor bouldering gym as well as dozens of outdoor spots to climb. Lately I have been going to the indoor bouldering gym 3-4x a week, trying to climb 12-15 routes minimum. Basically, I am trying to get my endurance up while working on technique, and I hate running , so I'm just going up and down the same route over and over. My cardio and climbing skill is going up but I have been neglecting the gym and I'm sure my strength is going down, at least my "push" strength.

Fellow climbers say that working out with weights is useless and the best traing for climbing is climbing. I believe that could be true at an extreme but I also believe there is a medium where it could be beneficial.

So I guess my question is: If I'm climbing 3-4x a week alternating days, when should (if I should) I train with weights, and what kind of exercises should I do? Vertical pulling and hand/forearm strength are my weaknesses in climbing.

I'd just do CrossFit. It's perfect for what you want to do.