starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did this study just prove the Novice Effect?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm not a "tactical athlete". I'm a "tac-ti-KOOL athlete". (flexes in smedium [black] shirt and puts on [black, usually Oakley's] sunglasses)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Oh, I like that. Strategic athletes train. Tactical athletes just fuck around.
    Heck, here it is Sunday, and I already know what I am going to be squatting on Tuesday. If that isn't taking the long view, I don't know what it is.

As for the study, it's the standard JSCR stuff. Test a shitty program, publish the results.
    https://theoverheardpress.com/2017/0...lishing-fraud/

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I stopped reading immediately after seeing the words "tactical athlete".
    #10: The Athlete of Aging: The Masters Athlete - YouTube

Oh, I like that. Strategic athletes train. Tactical athletes just fuck around.
    Surely you know: Amateurs talk tactics. Professionals talk logistics.

They should be studying why some many police officers get fat and out of shape within a few years of being hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    They should be studying why some many police officers get fat and out of shape within a few years of being hired.
    Boredom during graveyard shifts. Unless there are a lot of bars in town. Then those fat bastards get their asses beat into the concrete floors sprinkled with sawdust and broken glass, along with parking lots and alleys sprinkled with gravel, concrete, and more of the same.

Then they turn to religion and being Sunday school teachers.

At least in the current decade.

AKA, a bunch of weak woosies.

But those community organizers now. They KNOW what is needed.

I just thought I'd share with you the mindset of my Deputy Chief regarding strength training. Here is his reply to my request for the department to purchase the SS poster featuring squat guy vs treadmill guy:

"Truth be told… I shot it down. I read it. I don’t agree. Everything I’ve ever been taught via the East Bank Club fitness training, Cooper Institute 40 hour class making me a “trainer”, and the FBI National Academy class on health and fitness says VO2 max (cardio-pulmonary fitness) is THE most important part of physical fitness. I disagree with the FACT: Strength is the most useful of all aspects of fitness and the one that affects all others. I also disagree with the pictures – start here – Squat guy; not here – Treadmill guy.
    Most people equate aerobic exercise with good overall fitness, but training for strength is MUCH more beneficial. WHAT???! Are you F*****g kidding me? Who vetted this poster?

The jigsaw puzzle pieces I tend to agree with. However, Cardiac / Respiratory Endurance (cardio-pulmonary fitness) should be #1 – and NOT watered down.

See the inserted page from the CDC website – Heart disease kills 1 in 4 Americans. In 2013, cancer became the #1 killer (in people under 85 – If I make it to 85… I won’t be worrying about weight rooms). If you exclude people under 18, and over 85 – Heart disease is still #1.

So… as I get off my soapbox, I will part with this; “Nobody is dying from small bi-ceps, but heart disease is killing people every day.” I heard that from (our former Chief) years ago – I thought it was profound at the time. When I got the FBI Academy – where they live, eat, and breathe – FITNESS! I found it was part of their mantra. Apparently that’s where (our former Chief) got it from. It is far more beneficial to do a sustained exercise over a period of time that elevates your heart rate and breathing rate vs strength training. It is even more beneficial when you vary the intensity of the sustained exercise that elevates your heart rate and breathing rate
    ."

After a severely edited reply, I explained that it was my understanding that genetics and a poor diet were much bigger factors in heart disease than lack of cardio. I also thought that VO2 max was similar to SVJ regarding genetics and trainability.

Again, his reply: "Amen on the diet first. But I’m NOT a believer in the weight room much anymore, and neither is the NHL, NBA, MLB, the US Olympic committee… (I purposely excluded the NFL – bulk has a place there) Current fitness pros are big believers in body weight exercises, plyometrics, cardio-pulmonary training, flexibility, and agility training. (His son's) hockey team employs a coach full-time, year round – a $100k/year job to train the AAA players at all levels – either 2, 3, or 4 days a week depending on their age range. (His son) does box jumps, skips rope, agility runs, medicine ball work, push-ups, floor crawls, lunges, white board, planks, 400 meter runs with resistance, dynamic stretching, etc… RARELY do those kids get to play with weights. Resistance bands, body weight exercises, etc… Barbells are dead my friend. Athletes now train movements, not muscle groups anymore.

Your body was in better health doing 3 miles on the centennial trail then lifting a combined #1000 pounds.

The poster’s a NO because it does imply strength training is superior to cardio-pulmonary exercise." "...strength is certainly not more important than VO2 max – how well, and how much your body can pump, replenish, and pump again – oxygen rich red blood cells to your muscles.

Cardio first, flexibility and coordination second, strength third… that’s my training and experience
    ."

Although I've never used the word in a half century on this planet, I believe "flabbergasted" most aptly describes my response to this reaction over requesting the SS poster. I can't wait to see his reaction when I outline a strength training proposal for the department.

Your Deputy Chief sounds like an idiot. His career is most likely a waste of tax payer money with his thought process of being so close minded.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan B. View Post
    I just thought I'd share with you the mindset of my Deputy Chief regarding strength training. Here is his reply to my request for the department to purchase the SS poster featuring squat guy vs treadmill guy:

"Truth be told… I shot it down. I read it. I don’t agree. Everything I’ve ever been taught via the East Bank Club fitness training, Cooper Institute 40 hour class making me a “trainer”, and the FBI National Academy class on health and fitness says VO2 max (cardio-pulmonary fitness) is THE most important part of physical fitness. I disagree with the FACT: Strength is the most useful of all aspects of fitness and the one that affects all others. I also disagree with the pictures – start here – Squat guy; not here – Treadmill guy.
    Most people equate aerobic exercise with good overall fitness, but training for strength is MUCH more beneficial. WHAT???! Are you F*****g kidding me? Who vetted this poster?

The jigsaw puzzle pieces I tend to agree with. However, Cardiac / Respiratory Endurance (cardio-pulmonary fitness) should be #1 – and NOT watered down.

See the inserted page from the CDC website – Heart disease kills 1 in 4 Americans. In 2013, cancer became the #1 killer (in people under 85 – If I make it to 85… I won’t be worrying about weight rooms). If you exclude people under 18, and over 85 – Heart disease is still #1.

So… as I get off my soapbox, I will part with this; “Nobody is dying from small bi-ceps, but heart disease is killing people every day.” I heard that from (our former Chief) years ago – I thought it was profound at the time. When I got the FBI Academy – where they live, eat, and breathe – FITNESS! I found it was part of their mantra. Apparently that’s where (our former Chief) got it from. It is far more beneficial to do a sustained exercise over a period of time that elevates your heart rate and breathing rate vs strength training. It is even more beneficial when you vary the intensity of the sustained exercise that elevates your heart rate and breathing rate
    ."

After a severely edited reply, I explained that it was my understanding that genetics and a poor diet were much bigger factors in heart disease than lack of cardio. I also thought that VO2 max was similar to SVJ regarding genetics and trainability.

Again, his reply: "Amen on the diet first. But I’m NOT a believer in the weight room much anymore, and neither is the NHL, NBA, MLB, the US Olympic committee… (I purposely excluded the NFL – bulk has a place there) Current fitness pros are big believers in body weight exercises, plyometrics, cardio-pulmonary training, flexibility, and agility training. (His son's) hockey team employs a coach full-time, year round – a $100k/year job to train the AAA players at all levels – either 2, 3, or 4 days a week depending on their age range. (His son) does box jumps, skips rope, agility runs, medicine ball work, push-ups, floor crawls, lunges, white board, planks, 400 meter runs with resistance, dynamic stretching, etc… RARELY do those kids get to play with weights. Resistance bands, body weight exercises, etc… Barbells are dead my friend. Athletes now train movements, not muscle groups anymore.

Your body was in better health doing 3 miles on the centennial trail then lifting a combined #1000 pounds.

The poster’s a NO because it does imply strength training is superior to cardio-pulmonary exercise." "...strength is certainly not more important than VO2 max – how well, and how much your body can pump, replenish, and pump again – oxygen rich red blood cells to your muscles.

Cardio first, flexibility and coordination second, strength third… that’s my training and experience
    ."

Although I've never used the word in a half century on this planet, I believe "flabbergasted" most aptly describes my response to this reaction over requesting the SS poster. I can't wait to see his reaction when I outline a strength training proposal for the department.
    I am more flabbergasted with two people who are focusing their argument on the extremes. As far as general health and morbidity is concerned the ability to run a 4 minute mile has about as much utility as being able to perform a 700 lb. squat. Both are tremendous feats by themselves. However, if someone who runs a 4 minute mile can't bench press the bar I would hesitate to call that person fit. Similarly, if someone can squat 700+ lbs. and can't complete a mile run I would also hesitate to call that person fit as well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast