starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did this study just prove the Novice Effect?

Default Did this study just prove the Novice Effect?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

Question. When you boil down all the "yada-yada-yada" in this 'study'; did they inadvertently prove the Novice Effect? I tried to break it down in the manner so eloquently presented by Sully, et al in the series of videos a few months back; but I got a headache trying.

I felt this study used an awful lot of words for not much substance. Perhaps bigger and more experienced brains can tell if there is more to this?

Physical Fitness of Police Academy Cadets: Baseline Characteristics and Changes During a 16-Week Academy

PS--I'm trying to anticipate all the arguments that will be used by my administration as to why cardiovascular fitness is superior to strength training. While I have been collecting and studying the various articles written on the SS website, I'm also trying to learn their position to better argue against it in an upcoming interview for a future physical fitness instructor position within our police department.

The only arguments for endurance training over strength training would be:

1. Police officers never have to exert force against any external resistance in the execution of their duties.
    2. Strength training produces no cardiovascular training effect.

Neither of these statements are true. As for the study, it's the standard JSCR stuff. Test a shitty program, publish the results.

I stopped reading immediately after seeing the words "tactical athlete".

"Tactical Athlete" is NSCA for functional training with black fatigue pants, bloused.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I see I wasn't the only one who exceeded Anderson Cooper's recently public eyeroll over this. As I recall, I first saw this term in crosswit some years back and was flummoxed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I stop reading a lot of things these days when I see the word "tactical." It usually just means that the product being sold comes in black.

I am more of a strategic athlete, which lets me take the long view when I really want another slice of pizza even though it will take a week to burn off.

Oh, I like that. Strategic athletes train. Tactical athletes just fuck around.

I've sat in so many fucking training events where people say dumb shit like, "Soldiers are professional athletes", or "As professional, tactical athletes, Soldiers need to.....". People who say this shit have no idea what actual professional athletes are like, nor do they understand that the run-of-the-mill Soldier is mildly overweight and has no semblance of athletic ability.

Somehow we've chosen to brand individuals as tactical athletes when their job requires carrying a weapon (tactical) and requires them to exercise with some regularity (athlete).

starting strength coach development program
    It's a version of CrossFit affiliates' bad habit of referring to all their members as "athletes." They're just members, okay? Soldiers are soldiers, but somehow that's not good enough now.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast