starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Back Pain? Maybe it's your pants.

Default Low Back Pain? Maybe it's your pants.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just got a new pair of Carhartt's, and I was reminded about a phenomenon I'd noticed years ago when I wore blue jeans: if the the things fit wrong, they can fuck up your low back in a very short period of time. If there is not enough material across the glutes, i.e. the dimension from glutes in the back to hip flexors in the front is too tight, and if the fabric doesn't stretch, the pants can pull your lumbar into flexion. You may not even notice it while you have them on. Depending on your back, this may be a bad problem. So look at the pattern of your back pain, and if you can associate it with a particular pair of pants, throw the goddamn things away. If you get new ones and they don't fit right, take them back. The problem with Carhartt's is that every pair fits a little differently, and I have 4 pair that fit perfectly.

Very true. Too-tight pants crush my balls when I flex my hips to bend over, so I tend to flex my low back instead, which causes low back pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I just got a new pair of Carhartt's, and I was reminded about a phenomenon I'd noticed years ago when I wore blue jeans: if the the things fit wrong, they can fuck up your low back in a very short period of time. If there is not enough material across the glutes, i.e. the dimension from glutes in the back to hip flexors in the front is too tight, and if the fabric doesn't stretch, the pants can pull your lumbar into flexion. You may not even notice it while you have them on. Depending on your back, this may be a bad problem. So look at the pattern of your back pain, and if you can associate it with a particular pair of pants, throw the goddamn things away. If you get new ones and they don't fit right, take them back. The problem with Carhartt's is that every pair fits a little differently, and I have 4 pair that fit perfectly.
    This is very true, but I have found these jeans at Old Navy when shopping there with my wife for our son. They are called "Athletic fit" jeans and they are $40, but are made of the stretchy material and they are made with more room in the quad and glute areas. Totally worth a trip to try out in my opinion.

I've experienced this phenomenon myself. About a year ago I blew the gooch region out in my jeans while getting into my truck on my way to a parent teacher conference. Luckily I had my gym bag with me and a spare pair of shorts. There was a Target on the way so I stopped in just to get something quick and cheap and the only thing in my size was a pair of Wrangler "4 way stretch" jeans. As I was sitting in the conference I noticed almost immediately that my non specific hip and back discomfort was gone. I won't wear anything that isn't a stretch fit anymore and I haven't experienced any back and hip pain since that wasn't related to an actual tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    This is very true, but I have found these jeans at Old Navy when shopping there with my wife for our son. They are called "Athletic fit" jeans and they are $40, but are made of the stretchy material and they are made with more room in the quad and glute areas. Totally worth a trip to try out in my opinion.
    I was hesitant to buy any of their jeans since they switched to the "stretchy" fabric, but they are really damn comfortable. I have one pair and think I'll be picking up some more. I just went with the straight leg. With a gun in the waistband they fit really well. I guess only time will tell how well the material holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    I wear the American eagle version of these. They feel like you're wearing sweatpants with jean material. Apparently it's the same stuff women have using for the past century, and I'm pissed they didn't share this technology sooner. They cost more, but I haven't had a single pair wear out due to normal use. Seriously glad I tried them.

I'll be damned. There have been a couple of weekends recently that I've been out with the wife and noticed my back getting uncomfortable while sitting for dinner. I chalked it up to lousy chairs but i was wearing the same pair of jeans each time and they have obviously not expanded to keep pace with my glutes. Not sure how many more times it would have taken to catch that pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam McLeod View Post
    I wear the American eagle version of these. They feel like you're wearing sweatpants with jean material. Apparently it's the same stuff women have using for the past century, and I'm pissed they didn't share this technology sooner. They cost more, but I haven't had a single pair wear out due to normal use. Seriously glad I tried them.
    I'm over 55, so it's illegal in my state to wear stretchy pants.

Simple answer: American Eagle sweatpants & sweatshorts. 100% cotton. Happiness is no longer trying to impress anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam McLeod View Post
    American Eagle Outfitters
    Extreme Flex Original Straight Jean

prAna
    Stretch Zion Pants

That is all.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BASE View Post
    I was hesitant to buy any of their jeans since they switched to the "stretchy" fabric, but they are really damn comfortable. I have one pair and think I'll be picking up some more. I just went with the straight leg. With a gun in the waistband they fit really well. I guess only time will tell how well the material holds up.
    I carry my Sig P320 appendix with these pants and its amazing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast