starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Knees & Starting Strength

Default Bad Knees & Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Bought SS & PPFST last year, read both & started the program in December. It works just like you said it would. I am stronger, lost a little weight & feel better.
    I am 52 and have a meniscus tear. Ortho says both knees arthritic and to no longer do any barbell exercises standing and absolutely no squats. Told me to use light weight and 30 reps per set after I heal up from the surgery. At that point, I didn’t argue, but it was clear to me he doesn’t understand strength training. Other than the tear which is recent, I have no knee pain.
    I know you are not a doctor however, I know you coach a number of people in my age group and I value your opinion. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks.

Ask your orthopod if he's ever done 30-rep squats himself, and how his knees felt afterward. If he hasn't, ask him why he feels so comfortable recommending them. The vast majority of 52-year-old human knees have a tear in some part of the meniscus, it causes no problems, and if you let this dumbass operate on your knee, you are crazy. Read the threads on this board about knees, and get back to your squats and deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Ask your orthopod if he's ever done 30-rep squats himself, and how his knees felt afterward. If he hasn't, ask him why he feels so comfortable recommending them. The vast majority of 52-year-old human knees have a tear in some part of the meniscus, it causes no problems, and if you let this dumbass operate on your knee, you are crazy. Read the threads on this board about knees, and get back to your squats and deadlifts.
    Better yet, ask him how a knee feels after a 30 rep set of long arc leg extensions.

Lift with your ass, not your knees. Your knees are just along for the ride.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I was kneeling in my living room wrapping a Christmas present. I always had a lot of flexibility when I was younger and got into the habit of kneeling with all my weight seated on my ankles..which means extreme stress on the knees. It never bothered me....for 45 years. And then. POP . Crazy pain. Really, sickening pain. I think that was my meniscus tearing in my right knee. It was a bitch. Really effected my workouts, etc. I was just 6 months into working out again so it kicked my ass. I started doing crossfit a year later and I had great results. My body responded to the workouts and all the barbell exercises with good gains in fitness and strength. And also with pain and soreness in all my joints. Including my knees. To the point that I had difficulty walking to my work from my car. About a year and a half later I tore my ACL in my other knee. I got that repaired, and in the process the torn meniscus was diagnosed and my surgeon wanted to schedule surgery. I planned to build my house and we agreed that we would wait till I am done with the house before tackling the meniscus. I transitioned from crossfit to linear progression. My knee pain went away. I get my intensity from the amount of weight I lift not the number of reps I do. If I do anything stupid, my knee will hurt. But I can handle squatting and deadlifts. Your doctor sounds like most doctors. He doesn't know what you are talking about with strength training. I would look for a DR who lifts weights.

Quote Originally Posted by RLH View Post
    Told me to use light weight and 30 reps per set after I heal up from the surgery.
    Unless you are trying to start a new religion I really don't recommend 30 reps. Even Rip says Jesus appears at 18. I once followed Rip's advice and did the Starr rehab protocol of 3x25 deadlifts after a hamstring pull. At rep 23 on my last set I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head...

And now, a dark thought. What if the doctor knew sets of 30 would create massive doms and dissuade you from ever wanting to squat again?

Default Re Bad Knees

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Unless you are trying to start a new religion I really don't recommend 30 reps. Even Rip says Jesus appears at 18. I once followed Rip's advice and did the Starr rehab protocol of 3x25 deadlifts after a hamstring pull. At rep 23 on my last set I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head...
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I have continued the program even with knee pain the squat doesnt actually cause any more pain than is already present. This guy is actually one of best orthopedic docs in the area, but like many docs, he knows everything and the patient knows nothing. I figure I will have knees replaced at some point due to a lifetime of jumping in and out of ditches not because I started Rips strength program!

Quote Originally Posted by Bestafter60 View Post
    And now, a dark thought. What if the doctor knew sets of 30 would create massive doms and dissuade you from ever wanting to squat again?
    He's not that bright, I assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by RLH View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I have continued the program even with knee pain the squat doesnt actually cause any more pain than is already present. This guy is actually one of best orthopedic docs in the area, but like many docs, he knows everything and the patient knows nothing. I figure I will have knees replaced at some point due to a lifetime of jumping in and out of ditches not because I started Rips strength program!
    You live in Burundi?

starting strength coach development program
    I once severed my quadriceps tendon in a bicycle crash (i.e. completely separated my quads from my knee joint). Most doctors would discourage squatting after such an injury. But four months later I was squatting heavy again with my surgeon’s permission. It makes world of difference having a doctor familiar with weightlifting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast