starting strength gym

Thread: quick somewhat redundant newbie question

Default quick somewhat redundant newbie question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm coming to the squat workshop next week, so I'll get my definitive answer there, I'm sure. But, based on a meddler's advice at my gym last night, I just have to ask this now.
    I am new to lifting and I'm turning 60 very soon. Using the squat rack last night at my gym, a man stopped me in the middle of my squat and said I was doing it all wrong. I go below parallel and also take a little (just a little) bounce at the bottom. I'm small and new at this and some would say I'm old .... so, I am squatting 60 lbs. (Don't you dare laugh.)
    He said I should stop at parallel and that I'd "break my back" by going all the way down deep on the squat. My SS book and Barbell Prescription book say otherwise.
    His final words to me were: "Take it from me....I'm 49 and I have a bad back."
    My final words to him: "I'm 60, I've given birth to 4 large babies, and I don't have a bad back."
    But, is he right?
    Is there some kind of special technique reserved for grey-haired lifters?
    PS....I've neither knee nor back problems.

You know more about this than he does. Thank him for his advice and continue to squat properly.

Quote Originally Posted by RoLaberee View Post
    I'm coming to the squat workshop next week, so I'll get my definitive answer there, I'm sure. But, based on a meddler's advice at my gym last night, I just have to ask this now.
    I am new to lifting and I'm turning 60 very soon. Using the squat rack last night at my gym, a man stopped me in the middle of my squat and said I was doing it all wrong. I go below parallel and also take a little (just a little) bounce at the bottom. I'm small and new at this and some would say I'm old .... so, I am squatting 60 lbs. (Don't you dare laugh.)
    He said I should stop at parallel and that I'd "break my back" by going all the way down deep on the squat. My SS book and Barbell Prescription book say otherwise.
    His final words to me were: "Take it from me....I'm 49 and I have a bad back."
    My final words to him: "I'm 60, I've given birth to 4 large babies, and I don't have a bad back."
    But, is he right?
    Is there some kind of special technique reserved for grey-haired lifters?
    PS....I've neither knee nor back problems.
    My wife will turn 59 in October. She currently squats 190lbs; deadlifts 235lbs; benches 115lbs and can press 80lbs over her head. She started with a 65lb squat in late January 2016. The program works for anyone that follows it. RoLaberee...you got this!

My god, I positively hate gym meddlers. If you don't absolutely fucking know, do NOT offer advice. Good for you for getting in the gym and getting stronger.

I have longinsh femurs, retroverted hips and a short, slightly scoliotic spine. I have been at this since the mid 80's and competed in powerlifting for 17 years (1990 - 2007). I need to squat with 23" between the heels to get below parallel with a flat back. In that position my back is inclined to a large degree. My best official lifts are 575,375,535. I have done good mornings with as high as 465.

The man who attempted to "correct" your squat form forgot one important fact. Though we all should squat according to principles, everyone will exhibit unique tracking and positioning due to varied anthropometry. The bottom line is this: if you're getting stronger and your healthy your form is fine. Do NOT change it because someone suggests something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan B. View Post
    My wife will turn 59 in October. She currently squats 190lbs; deadlifts 235lbs; benches 115lbs and can press 80lbs over her head. She started with a 65lb squat in late January 2016. The program works for anyone that follows it. RoLaberee...you got this!
    Dang, I want to meet your wife. Impressive!

Thank you for the encouragement. I have stayed active all my life but I never focused on strength. Wish I had.
    Having arrived so late to the barbell party, I wonder what is within the realm of possible. Guess I'm gonna find out.
    Cheers!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLaberee View Post
    Dang, I want to meet your wife. Impressive!

Thank you for the encouragement. I have stayed active all my life but I never focused on strength. Wish I had.
    Having arrived so late to the barbell party, I wonder what is within the realm of possible. Guess I'm gonna find out.
    Cheers!
    It will be more than you previously thought possible.