starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 79 year old mother refuses to train.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Damn. I'm on both lisinopril and metoprolol. Losartan made my heart race and gave me anxiety. It was horrible. (I now understand how bad that is when someone says they had an anxiety attack--glad that's in the rear view mirror).

Any other BP suggestions I might want to inquire with my doctor about?

Thanks!
    The most important aspect of a blood pressure medication is half-life. I generally use the American Society of Hypertension guidelines, slightly adjusted to fit individual patient needs. They write the board exam for HTN, and their recd are very different from the standard practice, which is what you are on (we forgot to mention the ubiquitous - and terrible - hydrochlorothiazide.

The basic algorithm is this: start with an ARB (not losartan, it is worst-in-class). Skip ACE inhibitors completely because ARBs are better anyway and there is a not insignificant chance of life threatening angioedema with ACEi, also other side effects such as cough, which ARBs don't share. Olmesartan and telmisartan are good (because of long half-life and greater target receptor activity (fewer side effects).) If another drug is required, a calcium channel blocker is next (pretty much only choice is amlodipine). Next up is a thiazide diuretic (not HCTZ). Generally chlorthalidone, which is what most of the research was done with anyway (very few studies used HCTZ, so using it is not evidence based, which is supposed to be what people care about, but then they all go and use HCTZ - and it has a shit ton of side effects). Next up would be an aldosterone antagonist, such as spironolactone or eplerenone (which has the added benefit of countering the potassium wasting effects some people experience with thiazides. Only if all this is still not working do you add a beta-blocker (not metoprolol!) You want one with alpha effect for peripheral vasoconstriction, such as carvedilol (and at this point you would also be screening them for aldosteronism.)

These are the guidelines. Of course this is not medical advice, because internet and I might not even be a doctor. So there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Immobility is the worst thing you can do to arthritic joints.
    Immobility is the worst thing you can do almost for any medical condition, including recovering from MI, pneumonia, stroke, and many more. If only more people knew, how important it is to get back to the usual life(with a tendency for improvement of the body functions) the earlier, the better.

My mother in law (from 2nd marriage......it's complicated) fell recently. She has a few medical issues but has remained active over the years. She is approaching 80. She is walking with a cane since the fall. I would recommend to her that she lift but I already know that she would not. And I know all the arguments I would get. Up until very recently she walked and swam for exercise.
    Some folks will be receptive and some will not.

My back gives me hell. The last time it was really bad, about 2 years ago, I laid in bed for 2 days....and then said fuck this, and I got up and staggered downstairs and started moving again. I t sucked. it hurt. I could barely handle going up or down the stairs, but I don't think laying around was gonna help all that much, and I couldn't take any more laying. When I get older, I might not have enough "fuck you" left in me to do that.

As to the OP, what is the significance of moving from tylenol to Alieve. is there a reason Tylenol is preferred?
    I personally have never felt like Tylenol was worth a shit for pain.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    As to the OP, what is the significance of moving from tylenol to Alieve. is there a reason Tylenol is preferred?
    I personally have never felt like Tylenol was worth a shit for pain.
    Tylenol can be an effective pain killer, as well as a good antipyretic, but it's not a great anti-inflammatory, so probably won't help much with arthritic pain. Arthritic pain has a large inflammatory component, so a good anti-inflammatory is standard treatment. Of course, the really strong anti-inflammatory effects start kicking in at higher doses, so the risk of PUD also increases, so you have to be judicious.

Tylenol and Alleve are not an either-or proposition, btw.

I have used them both together for about 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    On the other hand, do you guys think there's hope for someone who does not believe in pseudo-medical bullshit and actually wants to train, but is simply too lazy to do it?
    A highly intelligent, highly informed lazy person is still a lazy person. You have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A highly intelligent, highly informed lazy person is still a lazy person. You have any ideas?
    Harassment, insults, and/or violence?

One of the hardest things to do is admitting there's nothing you can do. It doesn't suit our personalities well, I know.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    She's very honest about being lazy.
    It's much easier to be honest and to admit, that you're on a wrong path, than to start moving forward. I know it, I've done this myself a lot of times.

It's something irrational, like being afraid of a black cat, admitting in the same breath, that it's a bullshit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast