starting strength gym

Thread: Great new video from Sully

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

This is an amazing video. I heard about John from the Barbell Prescription book tour...to see him in action really shows the power of a good training program, an excellent coach, and an admirable refusal to "take it easy."

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

excellent video. anyone who says im too old / im too beat up <insert another bs excuse> show em this video.

I especially liked the opening. Just the way he strided down that sidewalk, nobody would ever guess he was 90.

It was great hearing him talk about his training progression, and goals. For him to have that to look forward to, instead of mere survival, is really inspiring.

Curlz! Fantastic video, sharing with everyone I know.

Great stuff!

I'm so inspired when I see videos like this. It reminds me that there is no such thing as "too old" to ever take up strength training, and that ultimately I am myself responsible for my well being when I get "old".

I have a brief story related to John.
    I used to be a low level competitive Weightlifter when I was in college, I won some local and regional meets but my totals were nothing to be proud of for my weight class (which just shows how weak weightlifting is in the US). I don't remember a lot of the people that won the other weight that classes or I competed against, but what I can't forget is the 90 year old man that made his own plates out of plywood to warmup with (he set many records for his age/weight class) and the woman in her 60s with cancer who picked up weightlifting in her retirement age.

You do what you have to, regardless of your age or circumstances. All of these people, John in Sully's video, the unnamed people in my story, the many similar stories on this board and what Rip shared in Strong Enough? About former members, all give us something to aspire to.

Thanks for sharing Sully.

What a great spokesman for the program.
    You can see the life returning to his life... what this means to him.
    John speaks for me.

It would have been easy to give John a pass. What a shame that would have been.
    See the potential in people. Don't give up on them.

starting strength coach development program
    There's more to life than spending the last decade or two in a nursing home? Who knew?