starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently developping a new weight lifting shoe and need some input

Default Currently developping a new weight lifting shoe and need some input

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    dear all,

my friend Bertl (shoemaker in Munich/Germany) is developping a weightlifting shoe for me, using old techniques, and we would like to have some input from you.

Our shoe protects the two arches and it has a velcro strap that wraps the foot around the insole. When I wear it it feels like if it supports my arches like the a lifting belt for my foot. I find it also quite comfortable to put on, despite my pot belly, as the velcro strap closes from outside to inside.

The sole is stiff and inflexible. It comes with a slight concave bend which becomes flat under my body weight. Once I have the shoes on my feet and they feel like interacting as a single unit against the platform, when deadlifting and squatting. And it generates a small amount of ankle angle than inclines my shin forward.

I have put a little video on Youtube, here
    My new weight-lifting shoes from Shoe Bertl Munich - YouTube

We can change the shoe, as it is handmade by welt-sewing. All natural leather, except the hard rubber wedge sole. Once we are over the prototype state I will make one for my son and for my wife who are also doing strength training. Unfortunately it is not cheap, but it is very good and sturdy. I believe that this will be te last pair of weight lifting shoes in my lifetime.

Your feedback is more than welcome, please put it to the Youtube video and not here.

This is an excellent design, much like my own idea for an all-leather shoe. I'd be curious about the net heel height. I would imagine that these are expensive, probably more than $400, but there is a market for high-end lifting equipment. Let us know when Bertl starts taking orders.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous888 View Post
    dear all,

my friend Bertl (shoemaker in Munich/Germany) is developping a weightlifting shoe for me, using old techniques, and we would like to have some input from you.

Our shoe protects the two arches and it has a velcro strap that wraps the foot around the insole. When I wear it it feels like if it supports my arches like the a lifting belt for my foot. I find it also quite comfortable to put on, despite my pot belly, as the velcro strap closes from outside to inside.

The sole is stiff and inflexible. It comes with a slight concave bend which becomes flat under my body weight. Once I have the shoes on my feet and they feel like interacting as a single unit against the platform, when deadlifting and squatting. And it generates a small amount of ankle angle than inclines my shin forward.

We can change the shoe, as it is handmade by welt-sewing. All natural leather, except the hard rubber wedge sole. Once we are over the prototype state I will make one for my son and for my wife who are also doing strength training. Unfortunately it is not cheap, but it is very good and sturdy. I believe that this will be te last pair of weight lifting shoes in my lifetime.

Your feedback is more than welcome, please put it to the Youtube video and not here.
    as of right now, your Youtube video has to comments disabled.

Should make a zero heel drop version, with a super thin sole.
    (for powerlifters or those who don't want a heel lift).

Quote Originally Posted by youtube
    Comments are disabled for this video.
    The shoe does sound nice.

dear all,

I'd love an opportunity to buy a pair of those.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    as of right now, your Youtube video has to comments disabled.

Should make a zero heel drop version, with a super thin sole.
    (for powerlifters or those who don't want a heel lift).

- comments now enabled (thank you for the hint!)

- super thin sole is optional, can be provided easily, as shoe is hand-made

- do you still want the insole? I believe yes, unless you want to have flat feet.

question: "I'd be curious about the net heel height. "
    answer: my heel is approx. 4.5 centimeters away from the floor and the ball of my foot (lowest part of my foot sole) is approx. 1.3 centimeters away from the floor. Net height is therefore 3.2 centimeters = 1 1/4 inch.

question: "I would imagine that these are expensive, probably more than $400, but there is a market for high-end lifting equipment."
    answer: my prototype is priceless, as it is hand-made, but if Bertl starts a small production the price can come down to the $500 region. If we are talking about thousands of shoes, price would definitely be below $400.

Price should not be an issue because this is probably my last weight-lifting show in my life-time as it can be repaired for an unlimited number of times: there is nothing glued in this shoe, except for the hard rubber sole to the leather sole, all and everything is sewn and welted.

question: "Let us know when Bertl starts taking orders."
    answer: I have told Bertl about your training method (I am training with Shaun Pang in Singapore) and he said that he wanted to make a pair of shoes for you. Can you please send me a pair of your old shoes and an old insole?

is there any literature about the "right" heel height available? Or is it more a question of taste?

Heel height is largely matter of individual preference, although I have argued for a 1/2-inch -- 1.25cm or a 3/4 inch heel. 1.25-inch is a bit high for most people. Will the shoe work without the plastic insole?

These look awesome!

One question I have is about the height of the shoe, do you think it would still allow for sufficient ankle dorsiflexion for some of the more flexible folks?

I'd also like to state that I'd like a pair of these very much, so please update us!

Coolest thread I've seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Heel height is largely matter of individual preference, although I have argued for a 1/2-inch -- 1.25cm or a 3/4 inch heel. 1.25-inch is a bit high for most people. Will the shoe work without the plastic insole?
    Yes, the shoe definitely works without the plastic insole, although I would always recommend a stiff insole in order to protect the arches from flattening.

The current plastic insole provides an extra-heel height of 1/2 inch, i.e. the net heel height of the shoe without the plastic insole is 3/4 inch.

From what I understand from your comments, best would be a standard net heel height of 1/4 inch + insoles with an added heel height of 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch. Can be easily provided in the final product.

The planned standard product comes with
    - standard insoles and standard wedge soles (net heel heigth 1/2inch or 3/4 inch)
    - long tongue (any cobbler with a sewing machine in his work shop can shorten it)
    - high top line

optional individualized features are:
    - insole for equalizing leg length difference
    - higher wedge sole for equalizing leg length differences
    - lower top line
    - higher or lower net heel height provided by individualized insoles
    - higher or lower net heel height provided by individualized wedge soles
    - super-thin 1/2 inch flat sole without heel
    - short tongue

Is there a market for such a shoe and how to reach it best?

I will later post a longer video which explains the current prototype in closer detail.

starting strength coach development program
    If the heel is lowered externally, the design is fine. If the heel is lowered by using a thinner orthotic insert (my preference), the tops will have to be lowered accordingly so that the shoe does not abrade the ankles.

There is definitely a market for this shoe. Get a website URL now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast