starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Score one for the Barbell!

Default Score one for the Barbell!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've always put injured athletes on the exact same workout they were doing before but with lighter weight and a range of motion that didn't cause a great deal of pain (which my athletic trainers agreed %100 with). Had a client reach out to me with a back injury and her Drs advice. I gave her an alternative solution to try and she couldn't believe how well it worked. Here's her comments:

I thought this would be better in your Q&A forum than the testimonials.

I want to thank John at Janecek Strength and Conditioning for the fantastic coaching I’ve gotten. I’ve been following the Starting Strength novice program for a few months now. Early this week I hurt my back, and I was afraid this would severely interrupt, or even stop, my training. In fact, my doctor advised me not to lift at all for at least 6 weeks and after that, not to squat anything heavier than 10 pounds. I reached out to John, who has given me some coaching, and he got back to me with a great rehab program with modified lifts, so I’ve been able to continue lifting safely and without pain. I’ll be able to get back to my programming MUCH faster than I ever would have been able to do without John’s coaching. Thanks John!

I almost hate to break the news to her, but this is the norm -- it is what usually happens to back injuries when they are trained under the bar. PT needs to catch up, fast.

Echos my personal experience addressing quadratus lumborum pain with a good (certified) coach.
    Great testimonial!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I almost hate to break the news to her, but this is the norm -- it is what usually happens to back injuries when they are trained under the bar. PT needs to catch up, fast.
    Our work is never done. Winning em over one by one...

If this method works so well why do you have a hard time getting physicians on board?

This seems to be your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This seems to be your first post.
    Not entirely. I did stumble through E&P earlier today. It appears that those post counts are not summed to the total, which accounts for the confusion.

May we consider my question in further detail? Is that correct that you are in disagreement with the consensus of medical experts at the highest levels of achievement in their own field, namely, the field of medicine? I may not have the right idea here but devil-be-damned it comes off pretty haughty, do ya know?

What have I disagreed with about experts in the field of medicine?

Quote Originally Posted by udderfilt View Post
    If this method works so well why do you have a hard time getting physicians on board?
    Several reasons, but here are three.

1) Most physicians don't lift.
    2) It's not taught in their schools.
    3) It requires the patient to actually do something.

They may even agree in theory that lifting is a great idea, but try convincing the patient that it's better, especially if the physician himself doesn't know how to do the activity. Plus, if you don't tell your patients to lift, you can't get sued when they go do something stupid and hurt themselves.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by udderfilt View Post
    Not entirely. I did stumble through E&P earlier today. It appears that those post counts are not summed to the total, which accounts for the confusion.

May we consider my question in further detail? Is that correct that you are in disagreement with the consensus of medical experts at the highest levels of achievement in their own field, namely, the field of medicine? I may not have the right idea here but devil-be-damned it comes off pretty haughty, do ya know?
    Strength training is the one form of medicine most doctors don't know anything about.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast