starting strength gym

Thread: What determines squat stance width?

Default What determines squat stance width?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

In your experience what stance do taller trainees (6'2'') generally take when squatting? Does the width chosen have to do mostly with hip flexibility or leg length?
    I know the general thought is about shoulder width or slightly wider and SS mentions, i believe, up to 18" wide.
    Does shoulder width really apply or is it a general recommendation? My shoulder are quite broad at a little over 19" measures at the acromion process.
    Is it normal for a lankier, longer lifter to go a fair bit wider out to maybe about 23" wide as the case seems to be with myself?
    If i go less than that i do not feel i get a bounce form the adductors or hamstrings when i squat and the knees seem to take the brunt of the work. As it would so happen i have tried to go a bit narrower lately assuming i have been too wide and i have started having nagging knee pain. Not sure if this may be related.
    For what it is worth I can front squat with a narrower stance and it feels pretty good.

Thanks again
    Chris

Your stance is usually related to your shoulder width, in that most people are proportionately constructed. It should be obvious that your stance is actually determined by your pelvic dimensions/leg length, but since most people are proportionate the vast majority of the time it works well to hang stance width on shoulder width. You may be an exception, and I'd have to see you squat from a couple of different views before I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your stance is usually related to your shoulder width, in that most people are proportionately constructed. It should be obvious that your stance is actually determined by your pelvic dimensions/leg length, but since most people are proportionate the vast majority of the time it works well to hang stance width on shoulder width. You may be an exception, and I'd have to see you squat from a couple of different views before I could tell.
    I will get a camera from a buddy and take some footage. I assume the angles needed are front, back and side.

Thanks again
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cskolnick View Post
    I will get a camera from a buddy and take some footage. I assume the angles needed are front, back and side.

Thanks again
    Chris
    Are you still planning on filming? I would like to see what mark has to say about your stance. Myself and I'm sure others could learn a great deal from this instead of asking him 999999 times a day. This could be a good thread.