starting strength gym

Thread: Strength training postpartum

Default Strength training postpartum

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

It has been almost 4 months since our first son was born and now my girlfriend wants to get back to strength training.

I assume I can safely have her start her novice progression over with the empty bar -- which she did on Wednesday with good form.

Maybe you have experience with training females postpartum? Anything special to considerer (movements to avoid for instance)?

I am asking because I almost got scolded by a PT at the gym because he thought she should only do breathing exercises and planks to strengthened her "messed up core". Heated discussion because...he is the healthcare professional, you know...

I googled but the Internet is full of "postpartum warrior workouts" with every plank variations imaginable, bulgarian split squats and hip-thrusts.

Thanks for your time.

Were there any complications in the delivery?

No complication. Just an episiotomy. She saw the midwife two weeks ago and it has healed well. She was cleared to practice sports again.

Sounds like she's ready to go. Actually, she has been for about 3 months.

Thanks Rip.

Back at it on Monday. It is going to be hard to keep them from interfering but at least I know that this is what she has to do to get better and stronger.

People, and mostly trainers, doctors and PTs are a pain in the ass when it comes to simple things like squats and deadlifts.

Why will it be hard to keep them from interfering? Is she currently incarcerated?

No. It is just us being too polite with people.

Well, okay.

Yeah, I think this has been discussed in other parts of the board: how to handle unsolicited advice and not look/sound like a jerk. The more so when it is a small olympic weightlifting gym where the same group of 10-12 people train.

We will just do our thing and train.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by limace31 View Post
    Yeah, I think this has been discussed in other parts of the board: how to handle unsolicited advice and not look/sound like a jerk. The more so when it is a small olympic weightlifting gym where the same group of 10-12 people train.
    Always use the word PLEASE. If he really bothers you, tell him, "Fuck off, PLEASE". Be nice to people, and they'll be nice with you. And if someone is jerk with you(interrupting your training again and again), there's no reason not to be a jerk with them.