starting strength gym

Thread: hamstring tightness /lower back pain - revisited

Default hamstring tightness /lower back pain - revisited

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark

Back in 2008 you described your need to do hamstring stretches to alleviate a tight lower back. Ive just started SS and my lower back/pelvis is uncomfortably tight. Hamstring stretches are proving helpful for me, providing an almost instant relief, but the tightness comes back quickly. I intend to do hamstring stretches more diligently to see if I can permanently correct the issue over the next couple of months. It could be an adaptation issue, not sure, im certainly not injured.

Low back pain question

My question is whether your thoughts on hamstring tightness/lower back pain have changed at all over the past 10 years? Did you reach a happy management of lower back tightness through continued hamstring stretches or did you discover anything new?

As it turns out, almost nobody needs to stretch their hamstrings. Continue reading.

I'll agree with Rip on this one. I stopped doing any serious stretching years ago with no ill effects on flexibility. A tight muscle is tight because its weak and when you try to stretch it, the body shuts it off to protect it. I now do dynamic movements for a few minutes prior to training. For the squat/deadlift I'll do lunges, side lunges, pliets and banded good mornings for maybe 6-8 reps each. For the bench/press I'll do some band pullaparts, band dislocates, and some very light front raises. That's it.

Without deferring to some arcane mechanism, let's just agree that the vast majority of people don't have to stretch their hamstrings to squat to depth. If you enjoy jumping around on the floor before you squat, have fun.