starting strength gym
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Special population" training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Who are you guys to judge his profound disappointment and intense frustration at seeing these two guys who clearly attracted his attention not fulfill the physical potential their bodies were evidently made for

Wait what was the question anyway

Here I thought we were going to talk about people with injuries or severe illness or amputations. That might at least have been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But you really don't know. Do you?
    Sorry no, I don't. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I thought it would be a valid point to bring up after having read one of your recent articles about men who are not masculine. It reminded me of homosexuals.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    This might be the dumbest post I've seen in the past 4 years on this forum.

By what mechanism would a homosexual be weaker than a heterosexual? Further, by what criteria do you characterize a homosexual versus heterosexual? There's no genetic marker for homosexuality/heterosexuality.
    That's your opinion. I'm going to ignore the personal insult. Homosexual men tend to be effeminate. Mark's pajama boy article summed up my feelings about that and I don't see why we have to be so politically correct about it. Some of them go over board with their lisp and walk. And I think that is due to a lack of testosterone. What else could it be? What makes men act like women? If being gay doesn't do it, could it be a lack of testosterone?

You say there's no genetic marker for homosexuality or heterosexuality. So you admit that we choose our partners, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsquats View Post
    I've trained a gay dude before. He struggled to squat a 45lb bar but within two weeks we got him to 135x5. Before working with me he only did cardio and bodyweight stuff. To me it seems that he wasn't much different from the general population besides being way weaker than I expected. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'd say 95-99% of people that have a gym membership would rather do easy shit. So statistically If a random straight male walked into a gym i'd place bets he would do something easy. Cardio, yoga, etc. For that same reason I would bet that a feminine gay guy would do the same.

Not arguing that the factors you've stated have nothing to do with it. I don't know. But I would say that the fitness industry standards have a larger impact on what you're observing. That and of course your own social biases as a human: Out-group homogeneity bias, illusory correlation, take your pick.
    Thank you for your opinion. I think everyone can improve. But it's a lie to say that everybody is as strong as the next guy. Women will never be as physically capable as men, for example. And transexuals aren't women all of a sudden because they amputated something.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    I didn't realize being openly gay was considered obnoxious. Interesting take.

First, the few openly gay men I know are about the horniest creatures on this blue planet. I am not sure T levels are a problem. Sucking a dick probably doesn't lower T nor is it likely that having low T makes you want to consume said dick. I am pretty confident in both of these things.

One of the things about being a man is letting people live their lives as they please so long as it doesn't harm you. Zeroing in on homosexuals the way you just did is no different than targeting blacks, Jews, women, Muslims, Arabs, Polish, redheads, people with brown eyes or any other group. We can all be grouped. Don't do that.
    I don't think being gay is obnoxious, but having to let everyone know how homosexual or transexual you are is. I don't tell the world I'm married to a woman every chance I can get either and I certainly don't march in any "straight pride" parades. I kind of had a feeling this would attract the social justice warriors. Arabs and muslims are not prosecuted. They are the prosecutors. Have you seen what is happening over there in Europe? Everybody can choose their religion. That is a weak excuse and a poor example, as muslims are absolutely not being prosecuted! And people being targeted for their hair color... Are you serious? What's next on the liberal hit list?

Quote Originally Posted by Pluripotent View Post
    Here I thought we were going to talk about people with injuries or severe illness or amputations. That might at least have been interesting.
    To be clear, I don't think homosexuals are severely ill. I just think that some of the behaviors that tend to come with it are really not beneficial for society or for serving as role models for our chidlren.

I don't think you're a homosexual. And I didn't want to accuse you of being one or offend you by implying you associate with them.
    Only something less than a man would be offended by any implications that they associate with homosexuals.

I think if you work in the athletic field you will predominantly meet one kind of person.
    Groundskeepers?

I'm assuming such a type does eventually try hard things and doesn't just stay at home.
    Pretty sure they're all about the hard things.

It's just that I've observed that most of them either have conditioned themselves to be weak or that they might have a genetic predisposition.
    You've observed their genetics? The two fellars you sorta know?

If they say their orientation and lifestyle is genetic and not nurtured, what's wrong with asking if their demeanor or personality is?
    By that standard every heterosexual would have the same personality and demeanor. Do you not see the flaw in your thinking?

I'm not one for political correctness.
    This is code for "I am an unabashed asshole" FYI.

I don't like the direction our society has been going in.
    And I don't like people who incorrectly end a sentence with a preposition.

No one in their right mind listens to transexual propaganda and nods to them redefining gender or invading the armed forces, competitive sports or our children's restrooms.
    If our Armed Forces can be invaded by a tiny population of trans people then we have bigger issues to deal with. Also, children's restrooms? Stop. Now you're just being hysterical.

I don't see how it's different with homosexuals who clearly made their own suboptimal life choices, with men acting like women and women acting like men.
    Sub-optimal by what standard? You think that because you haven't sucked a dick that you are superior and anyone who has is... less?

I don't want to exclude them,
    Yes you do.

I just want to hold them
    I bet you do.

I just want to hold them responsible.
    For what? What have they done that requires a reckoning? Is it that tingle you feel when around them?

And with political correctness on the rise, that seems impossible.
    Yes, surely that's the problem. Before PC we didn't have homosexuals or trans folk. I am sure I read that somewhere. Or we did, but we burned them alive or dragged them with the hitch of our pickups or stabbed them 162 times. You know, back in the good old days before this shitty societal trend.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

In my first powerlifting tournament (USPA--and the judges were strict at this particular meet), I'm pretty sure I was the only straight male competing.

I watched two guys (who were partnered) set five consecutive Ohio state records...one set it, the second broke it, the first broke it again, etc. Then I saw a man who appeared to be a gay Santa Clause pull 550 after waking up from a nap. Another 20 y/o competitor pulled nearly 600 at 211 lbs bodyweight--and he hit a 1,300 crossfit total about 7 months later.

It's really too bad their genetics suck so much...if they only banged a couple hot chicks, they'd be chasing Karwoski.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Stolekjewski View Post
    I have a bit of a controversial question...I am not looking to offend.
    No shit. Well, I'd say you "looked" in the wrong place. I was so excited to click on this link. You see, I have a son with Asperger's and a brother who just lost a leg to diabetes and spent 18 days in the ICU near death. Both are now training with me and have significant challenges in life. I was hoping to read about training "special populations" and instead your post made my blood boil.

Or checking other men out!
    No shit. They are gay. Of course they are checking other men out.

One of them dumbbell squatted and took selfies in the mirror. Okay....
    No shit. Most of us here also record our videos and post them with PRIDE to our friends and coaches.

The other one got a barbell and squatted 65lbs for a set of 8 or 9. Then he deadlifted 120lbs for 4 or 5 sets. I laughed and continued with my workout.
    No shit. Everyone starts with an EMPTY bar. Even you. I think it's sad you laughed at someone working out in the gym.

But it seems that within an already weak population (let's be honest) they are the weakest link. So I am still waiting to see one of them do something hard.
    No shit? Alan Turing, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci...nope, none of them could do anything hard. Maybe we have a different definition of hard.

I do believe that they have conditioned themselves to be weaker physically and mentally than they should be.
    No shit? Let me tell you about the physically and mentally "weaker" members of the LGBT community my wife and I have associated with. Typically we run into them in reach out meetings because they have just left the Mormon church and are lost in a new world they don't understand. Many have just been kicked out of their homes by their parents who are described (by others) as "loving church goers." With no where to go, they sleep in closets; they sleep in cars; they struggle--without money or friends--to find a job so they can fill their hollow bellies with their next peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

We have seen them peek through cracked doors--with terror in their eyes--because they don't know if the stranger who is offering to help them on the internet has arrived only to take advantage of them...yet again. We have taken them to Costco and filled their empty cars with food. I've had young men and women crying on my shoulder because their parents have just disowned them. How messed up is it that a young man or woman will cry on MY shoulder--a complete stranger--and not on their own parent's shoulder???

One told the story of the day his father found out he was gay. His father looked at him and said, "My pistol is in the closet. You know what to do with it." When he didn't shoot himself his father took all of his belongings and dumped them in the driveway. The suicide rate for the LGBT community is a shame on our nation and especially tragic here in Utah.

My wife spends countless hours working with disaffected members of the LGBT community. I make a point to personally advocate with Utah's elected officials every time I see them--no matter what our meeting is about. We are proud advocates.

I've been asking myself whether there is a genetic link.
    No shit there is a genetic link. When did YOU decide to be straight? I don't know about you, but I was born this way. So are they. I suggest we let everyone choose to live as they see fit.

Even if some of you might not be very understanding of my viewpoint.
    No shit. I would encourage you to change your viewpoint.

God bless,
    Jackson
    God loves Gays.

I don't think being gay is obnoxious, but having to let everyone know how homosexual or transexual you are is.
    You mean there are some homosexuals and trans that aren't all the way gay or trans?

I don't tell the world I'm married to a woman every chance I can get either and I certainly don't march in any "straight pride" parades.
    But no one would call you out for doing so.

I kind of had a feeling this would attract the social justice warriors.
    I think you meant "intelligent, reasonable people". Also, there you go again... putting a group of people in a box.

Arabs and muslims are not prosecuted.
    I am going to assume this was just a typo and that you do, in fact, know the difference between "prosecuted" and "persecuted".

They are the prosecutors.
    I take that back.

Have you seen what is happening over there in Europe?
    Umm, no. What?

Everybody can choose their religion.
    Finally we agree on something.

That is a weak excuse and a poor example, as muslims are absolutely not being prosecuted!
    Most law abiding people don't get prosecuted. I am tired of pretending you know what the fuck you're saying.

And people being targeted for their hair color... Are you serious?
    Educate yourself. The Myths and History of Red Hair - Witchcraft and Heresy

What's next on the liberal hit list?
    I am not a liberal. I am a pickup driving, gun owning, hunting and fishing, beer drinking, reasonable, fairly conservative, informed and intelligent man who doesn't seek out groups of people to ridicule, ostracize or hate.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    No shit. (Repeat as necessary)
    Thought this thread was pretty pointless, but Kirkham sort of rescued it.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    By that standard every heterosexual would have the same personality and demeanor. Do you not see the flaw in your thinking?

This is code for "I am an unabashed asshole" FYI

If our Armed Forces can be invaded by a tiny population of trans people then we have bigger issues to deal with. Also, children's restrooms? Stop. Now you're just being hysterical.

Sub-optimal by what standard? You think that because you haven't sucked a dick that you are superior and anyone who has is... less?

Yes, surely that's the problem. Before PC we didn't have homosexuals or trans folk. I am sure I read that somewhere. Or we did, but we burned them alive or dragged them with the hitch of our pickups or stabbed them 162 times. You know, back in the good old days before this shitty societal trend.
    Why can we point out supposedly heterosexual men not being manly, but it's all of a sudden taboo once they're gay? That seems more than politically correct. Also, no need to be obscene. This feminist agenda where men have to apologize for being men is not acceptable. None of this is about equality. And the fact that one can't ask a question without the SJW storming the place is evidence enough. You gave away your political beliefs once you brought the poor muslims into this. They never suffered anything other than themselves. Read about what is happening in Sweden and Germany where they have entire rape clans of immigrants and then think about who is the victim again. Europe made iit's decision, too bad. But it is ridiculous to say that muslims are oppressed people, they hurt America and Israel every single day!

Transexual people cost the Armed Forces money and care which should all be directed towards protecting our nation. I also don't want some pervert in a locker room with my daughter or my little boy being told in school that he can be a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    God loves Gays.
    Yes, God loves gays, but He does not love homosexuality. God may also love transexuals, but He certainly does not love mutilation of the body and soul which shall ascend to the Heavens.

starting strength coach development program
    So a week ago I finally saw two guys squatting. Or so I thought. One of them dumbbell squatted and took selfies in the mirror. Okay.... The other one got a barbell and squatted 65lbs for a set of 8 or 9. Then he deadlifted 120lbs for 4 or 5 sets. I laughed and continued with my workout.
    Good for them for training. It is a start on the path to getting stronger.

You LAUGHED? To be nice, I'll assume you're new to lifting and haven't learned any etiquette yet. Never mock what others lift. Never. Even if you think you are "better" than them (hint: you're not). How would you like it is someone mocked YOUR lifts? There are a number of people on this site who would make you appear as a weak "special population".

And what a low move to mock someone after seeing one set on one day. Maybe the guy you saw hurt his back, and is working his way back to weights some observer might consider "serious". You don't know what someone's training history is just by looking at them for one set.

Next time, maybe go and introduce yourself and chat about weightlifting. Find something positive to say in encouragement. Maybe even get in a plug for Rippetoe's book. Or the website. Or the FB group. Maybe the guys you mock would appreciate some feedback from you and learning about some lifting resources.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast