starting strength gym

Thread: What movements aggravate de quervains?

Default What movements aggravate de quervains?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Have had de quervains for approx 8 months. Lifted through it and am positive of diagnosis. Saw a hand surgeon to confirm. I can't find much information on exacerbating movements. Everything inse talks about repetitive movements but it is actually in my non dominant hand. I Am treating conservatively and trying to work through it but am not sure what aggravates it.

Dunno. Mine just went away.

Finkelstein's test is the diagnostic orthopaedic test to ascertain De Quervain's tenosynovitis. Picture assuming a hook grip and then ulnar deviation on the affected side.

Because the condition is caused by the noninflammatory thickening of the tendons, inflammation is secondary due to friction of the tendons against the first extensor compartment. It is an annoying condition to deal with and typically resolves on its own. You could take antinflammatories for symptomatic relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Dunno. Mine just went away.
    Is this the softer side of Rip? You were cradling so many babies you got de quervains?

I really don't know how it flared up. Bothered me about 3 weeks, I trained, it went away. I do not handle babies.

Maybe from playing too many video games.

Intersection Syndrome is commonly misdiagnosed as De Quervain's. Intersection Syndrome is more common in a weightlifting population. I've treated both with wrist wraps and heavy bench and press with very good results.

starting strength coach development program
    Heavy presses seem to solve lots of problems. There just ain't no way to get them done without a massive mental and physical effort. They sure make my shoulder feel better.