Thread: Moving from high bar to low bar squats

Default Moving from high bar to low bar squats

I've been doing high bar squats thinking they were low bar squats for 3.5 months and thanks to one of your SS coaches I have now been corrected and am attempting to do low bar squats. My issue is the mobility in my shoulders to hold the bar correctly. I am only on my second week working on my shoulder mobility to be able to low bar squat. The pain is beyond excruciating. I am working on it even on the days I don't squat.

To my question... because the pain is so high I wonder if I am helping or hurting myself. Is this something that will be good for my shoulders? I am an avid stretcher and this pain is over the top. I tough enough to keep at it if as long as I know it will be beneficial m or than just to get into a low bar squat. Looking for videos online has not produced any acceptable results.

Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn

Could you find us a picture of what you previously considered the high-bar position to be?

Starting Strength Seminars

highbar squat - Google Search

After proof reading my own post, it appears I am missing skillz to post coherently. Where is the edit button? I hope the post get my point across.

I had this pain and just now (6 months later) I am getting flexible enough to get into the position easily and usually without pain. For a few months, the only way I could get into the position would be by doing the "low bar stretch" Rip linked to, before squatting. Tough through it. My shoulders hurt for a long time. Not sure if it's the most efficient way or not, but I know the shoulder pain is gone by now and I can get into the squat position.

I found doing the "shoulder dislocation drill" every day helped with the pain and maybe increased mobility (I bought a thin 10ft pvc pipe and cut it down). The stretch helping mobility might have been just a placebo and just doing squats 3x a week got me to being able to do it with less pain. But it definitely helped with the soreness right then and there. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I had this pain and just now (6 months later) I am getting flexible enough to get into the position easily and usually without pain. For a few months, the only way I could get into the position would be by doing the "low bar stretch" Rip linked to, before squatting. Tough through it. My shoulders hurt for a long time. Not sure if it's the most efficient way or not, but I know the shoulder pain is gone by now and I can get into the squat position.

I found doing the "shoulder dislocation drill" every day helped with the pain and maybe increased mobility (I bought a thin 10ft pvc pipe and cut it down). The stretch helping mobility might have been just a placebo and just doing squats 3x a week got me to being able to do it with less pain. But it definitely helped with the soreness right then and there. YMMV
    I appricaiat the help. I've been doing the same stretches twice a day. I just dislocated my knee today so I'll have plenty of time to stretch while my knee heals. I have a bad MCL from a snowboarding accident and I was being stupid today and hurt it.

I've always been concerned if my bad MCL would be in issue squaring but it has not been so far. I should really get it fixed so.e day, but it never hurts unless I do something stupid like fall off a skateboard awkwardly.