• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    You can try the Metal Powerlifting Shoes
    You'll be disappointed if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Addidas has two tiers of lifting shoes.
    I had a pass for the Adidas company store and picked up a pair of the lower tier for $45. I have wider feet so I had to buy up a couple of sizes; however, the improvement in comfort on lifts has really been massive. Will be keeping my eyes out for Nike Romaleo's as I hear they are better for those of us with wider feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Emphasis on short arms and long trunk, Mark. Once the insole is removed from Chucks, it's just 2~3mm of decently hard rubber sole between the heel and the floor. Even if it compresses under the load, it will be a tiny fraction of the original 2~3mm thickness anyway. So force transmission isn't much of a problem. But the surprising thing is the arch support. Typical Chuck Taylors have simple hard rubber inserts at the side of the arches. Probably they don't mean much under regular use but once half inch insole is removed, it feels like a snug groove for the foot arch to fit into. Not elegant, but works.
    Huh? They are old school basketball shoes with a flexible rubber sole. They are not designed for lifting (or much of anything for that matter). Besides, you can pick up a pair of closeout lifting shoes for about the same price. But hey, if you don't like your arches, fine with me.

Personally I lift in 6 inch stilettos (red w/black rhinestones) because it makes me feel pretty, and they provide an incredible amount of instability that help reawaken my dormant and amnesic 'glutes.

Quote Originally Posted by slhuckstead View Post
    Huh? They are old school basketball shoes with a flexible rubber sole. They are not designed for lifting (or much of anything for that matter). Besides, you can pick up a pair of closeout lifting shoes for about the same price. But hey, if you don't like your arches, fine with me.
    Once the insole is ripped off, it's 2~3 mm of (medium) rubber sole. What's there to deform if there's only 3 mm to begin with?
    That and I'm pretty much flat footed. The so called arch support mildly serves the purpose of lateral stability and nothing more. Guess only those with short arms can appreciate a .7" decrease in the deadlift barpath.

Flatfooted people need support, too. My flat feet pronate under load. Jordan has a very detailed video review of a few lifting shoes where he explains the anatomy and physiology of what happens to you, and purpose-built lifting shoes are of great benefit.

Saying that Chucks are just fine for flat feet is like saying that you don't need a helmet for your motorcycle because you already have brain damage.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    You can try the Metal Powerlifting Shoes or Sabo Deadlifts. No personal experience, but I have heard good things about both. The Metals are narrow while the Sabos are not.
    There is also the Sabo Goodlift, which is more a weightlifting shoe whereas Sabo Deadlift is more of a wrestling shoe with metatarsal and ankle (useless from what I heard) straps. Google and the Forum's search function are OP's friends.

I've been using converse for the last month and finally switched to some adidas powerlifting 2.0 shoes. They were on sale here in Canada on Amazon (well not much of a sale - 115bucks with tax).

I have to say that I should have bought them sooner. Much easier to squat down and it helps my hip drive.

I just started using the Metal Deadlift shoes. Very stable, and has decent arch support. No complaints there.

Quote Originally Posted by footrat View Post
    Flatfooted people need support, too. My flat feet pronate under load. Jordan has a very detailed video review of a few lifting shoes where he explains the anatomy and physiology of what happens to you, and purpose-built lifting shoes are of great benefit.

Saying that Chucks are just fine for flat feet is like saying that you don't need a helmet for your motorcycle because you already have brain damage.
    Do you have a link for Jordan's video?

starting strength coach development program
    It's on his youtube channel. Not the Barbell Medicine channel, but his personal one.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast